[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: bmarek <bmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 08:08:13 +0100

As a sighted person I can only try to understand the problems which
Amanda and Charles had to deal with. For me, the most difficult part of
introducing totally blind children to tactile drawings is to explain the
very concept of a drawing and to make sure that they really understand
the relation between objects and drawings which use all those "sighted"
conventions. The "Transfograph" and intermediate shapes (kind of "flat
versions of 3-D objects" mentioned in an earlier discussion) have proved
very useful but do not solve ALL problems. We are drifting away from
Phia's original question but it's obvious that blind children, too, must
apply some conventions for representing 3-D objects on flat sheets. I
have seen a drawing made by a blind child of a person with a row of
several legs. That was the convention the child used to indicate that
the person was walking (first the legs are here, then there and then
there.)
Boguslaw 'Bob' Marek

W dniu 30.01.2012 05:14, cpond
napisał(a):

> Yes. I do find it completely familiar, Amanda. Ha, some
funny mishaps on my part with which I won't tangle up this list. Write
me off-line if you wish. But, before you wrote your reasons for not
drawing clothes on the figure, I had the question (your reason) in my
mind. Then when I read it, it felt like inner verdigo sort of.

When I had to study drafting of sorts, I could never for the life of me
figure out how the tactile representations of three-D objects shown to
me could be seen as such by the sighted. Feel the three-D tactile
drawing of a ball, a barrel, a cookie, a record, a cylinder, and other
more complex figures and you'll get the idea. The drawing of a house
looked--that is felt--absolutely Nothing like the three-D models of
houses which I've handled. The same goeth for some animals. So, I merely
memorized the generic shapes so I could duplicate various drawings when
I had to on the raised kine drawing kit. I varied the parameters, added
subfigures together, but could never understand them visually.

> IN
some cases, I could never identify an object as it was drawn, but as
soon as it was told me to me then limbic recognition flashed forth, like
a blaze of lightning where before had reighned great darkness.

I've known people who lost their sight as adults, and they had no such
challenges as these.

> Charles
>
> FROM: Amanda Lacy [6]
> SENT:
Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:39 PM
> TO: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[7]
> SUBJECT: [accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people
>

> This brings back some interesting memories. I am blind from birth and
found it easy to learn to draw sort of stick figures at an early age.
Once I drew one in my mainstream class and the teacher immediately said,
"Amanda, the person is upside-down." The head was pointed toward me, and
I reasoned that there was neither up nor down on that flat paper and
that if I lifted the edge closest to me so that the figure was standing
up, it would be facing my direction and right-side-up. No one understood
my reasoning.

> Interestingly, my second drawing mishap took place
at the Texas School for the Blind during a summer program. We were
required to draw, and so I drew another bipedal figure. The staff then
asked me to draw clothes on it. I tried to explain that this was
impossible since the figure was flat and clothes had to wrap around a 3D
body. Being six or seven years old I was not taken seriously.

> Does
anyone find any of this familiar?

Message -----
>> FROM: cpond [1]
>> TO: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[2]
>> SENT: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:14 PM
>> SUBJECT:
[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

>> Many blind
children (and also adults) cannot conceive drawing a three-dimensional
object in a two-dimensional medium. Whether it is a neurological, a
developmental or comceptual block, this is so for many.
Three-dimensional visualizing, and more critically here the sense of
sight being able to "see" in three dimensions must be learned within a
narrow windows at an early time in the child's life. Else it doesn't
seem to take.

>> Charles
>>
>> FROM: bmarek [3]
>> SENT: Sunday,
January 29, 2012 2:28 PM
>> TO: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [4]

SUBJECT: [accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

It's probably silly to post a question and then to try and answer it but
I, too, find the question intriguing. I work mainly with school-age
children, where I am confronted with somewhat different challenges, like
the request I had from a 10-year old who said: I can understand drawings
of people standing but not when they are doing something. To help him
and other children solve this "problem", I developed a resource which I
call "Fleximan" but it only helps children understand what people look
like when they sit, bend down, jump, do push-ups or somersaults, kick or
throw a ball etc. but does not provide an answer to the question about
how very young blind children draw people. My feeling is that "tadpoles"
may not be an obligatory stage in blind children's drawings. Drawing on
plastic is much harder than drawing on paper so probably blind children
do not start drawing as early as sighted kids, and, drawing a circle is
not easy when you can't see so sth like a rectangle is more likely as
the main part of a person's body. But I may be wrong

>> Boguslaw
'Bob' Marek

>> W dniu 29.01.2012 20:16, bmarek napisał(a):

Below I am copying a message from another list - a question from a
friend in Australia.

>>> Boguslaw 'Bob' Marek:
>>>
>>> Hi,

For a new project I am very interested to find out if you know of
research or resources giving an insight in the drawing development of
young blind children and if, like their sighted peers, they go through a
period in which they draw so-called "tadpole drawings", basically a
circle as the head and body in one, and then sticks as arms and
legs?
>>> kind regards,
>>> Phia
>>>
>>> Sonokids Australia