[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "Amanda Lacy" <lacy925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:39:14 -0600

This brings back some interesting memories. I am blind from birth and found it
easy to learn to draw sort of stick figures at an early age. Once I drew one in
my mainstream class and the teacher immediately said, "Amanda, the person is
upside-down." The head was pointed toward me, and I reasoned that there was
neither up nor down on that flat paper and that if I lifted the edge closest to
me so that the figure was standing up, it would be facing my direction and
right-side-up. No one understood my reasoning.

Interestingly, my second drawing mishap took place at the Texas School for the
Blind during a summer program. We were required to draw, and so I drew another
bipedal figure. The staff then asked me to draw clothes on it. I tried to
explain that this was impossible since the figure was flat and clothes had to
wrap around a 3D body. Being six or seven years old I was not taken seriously.

Does anyone find any of this familiar?

Amanda