[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: bmarek <bmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:28:57 +0100

It's probably silly to post a question and then to try and answer it
but I, too, find the question intriguing. I work mainly with school-age
children, where I am confronted with somewhat different challenges, like
the request I had from a 10-year old who said: I can understand drawings
of people standing but not when they are doing something. To help him
and other children solve this "problem", I developed a resource which I
call "Fleximan" but it only helps children understand what people look
like when they sit, bend down, jump, do push-ups or somersaults, kick or
throw a ball etc. but does not provide an answer to the question about
how very young blind children draw people. My feeling is that "tadpoles"
may not be an obligatory stage in blind children's drawings. Drawing on
plastic is much harder than drawing on paper so probably blind children
do not start drawing as early as sighted kids, and, drawing a circle is
not easy when you can't see so sth like a rectangle is more likely as
the main part of a person's body. But I may be wrong

Boguslaw 'Bob'
Marek

W dniu 29.01.2012 20:16, bmarek napisał(a):

> Below I am
copying a message from another list - a question from a friend in
Australia.

> Boguslaw 'Bob' Marek:
>
> Hi,
> For a new project I
am very interested to find out if you know of research or resources
giving an insight in the drawing development of young blind children and
if, like their sighted peers, they go through a period in which they
draw so-called "tadpole drawings", basically a circle as the head and
body in one, and then sticks as arms and legs?