[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:19:34 -0500

According to a psychology class we took in university, the issue of perceiving
three-D objects in a two-D medium after a certain point in life might be
neurological.  but, the brain is somewhat plastic (so are my eyes), and the
mind is ever-capable of learning.

Charles

  From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, February 01, 2012 8:51 am
  To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  I’m afraid we’re separated by something less-than concept, but harder to
bridge in a logistical way.  I’m in Ottawa Ontario, Canada.

  Charles

    From: "Amanda Lacy" <lacy925@xxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Mon, January 30, 2012 8:16 pm
    To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Charles,

    <smile> In Flatland, the 2D beings read 1D books.

    The very first time I encountered a drawing of a 3D shape came in the 6th
grade in the form of a simple math question: What shape is this? Below those
words was a tactile circle with a curved line through it. Of course, I answered
"circle." Although the teacher said I was wrong she gave me credit anyway since
she was at a loss to prove her claim that this was somehow a sphere that did
not roll off the page.

      Ann, do you have online lessons for blind students who struggle with
these concepts? Throughout my life I have had many of the exact same unanswered
questions that Charles has articulated so well here.

      Amanda
        From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Sun, January 29, 2012 8:14 pm
        To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Many blind children (and also adults) cannot conceive drawing a
three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium.  Whether it is a
neurological, a developmental or comceptual block, this is so for many.
Three-dimensional visualizing, and more critically here the sense of sight
being able to “see” in three dimensions must be learned within a narrow windows
at an early time in the child’s life.  Else it doesn’t seem to take.

        Charles