[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:51:03 -0500

I’m afraid we’re separated by something less-than concept, but harder to bridge
in a logistical way.  I’m in Ottawa Ontario, Canada.

Charles

  From: "Amanda Lacy" <lacy925@xxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Mon, January 30, 2012 8:16 pm
  To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Charles,

  <smile> In Flatland, the 2D beings read 1D books.

  The very first time I encountered a drawing of a 3D shape came in the 6th
grade in the form of a simple math question: What shape is this? Below those
words was a tactile circle with a curved line through it. Of course, I answered
"circle." Although the teacher said I was wrong she gave me credit anyway since
she was at a loss to prove her claim that this was somehow a sphere that did
not roll off the page.

    Ann, do you have online lessons for blind students who struggle with these
concepts? Throughout my life I have had many of the exact same unanswered
questions that Charles has articulated so well here.

    Amanda
      From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
      Date: Sun, January 29, 2012 8:14 pm
      To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

      Many blind children (and also adults) cannot conceive drawing a
three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium.  Whether it is a
neurological, a developmental or comceptual block, this is so for many.
Three-dimensional visualizing, and more critically here the sense of sight
being able to “see” in three dimensions must be learned within a narrow windows
at an early time in the child’s life.  Else it doesn’t seem to take.

      Charles