[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "Amanda Lacy" <lacy925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:16:05 -0600

Charles,

<smile> In Flatland, the 2D beings read 1D books.

The very first time I encountered a drawing of a 3D shape came in the 6th grade
in the form of a simple math question: What shape is this? Below those words
was a tactile circle with a curved line through it. Of course, I answered
"circle." Although the teacher said I was wrong she gave me credit anyway since
she was at a loss to prove her claim that this was somehow a sphere that did
not roll off the page.

  Ann, do you have online lessons for blind students who struggle with these
concepts? Throughout my life I have had many of the exact same unanswered
questions that Charles has articulated so well here.

  Amanda
    From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Sun, January 29, 2012 8:14 pm
    To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Many blind children (and also adults) cannot conceive drawing a
three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium.  Whether it is a
neurological, a developmental or comceptual block, this is so for many.
Three-dimensional visualizing, and more critically here the sense of sight
being able to “see” in three dimensions must be learned within a narrow windows
at an early time in the child’s life.  Else it doesn’t seem to take.

    Charles