[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:55:57 -0500

Hi Ann.  There is much in what you write, and much one could say to reply.  If
you would draw a hand as you describe, which is a fairly flat object. then how
would one draw a fist, which is definitely three dimensional?  The
three-dimensional shape must be captured, and yet the object drawn must be
identifiable as a fist and not a hand, or as a hand reconfigured into a fist?
Actually, a hand is a three-dimentional albeit flat object.  The fingers are
round and elongated; the nails are curved; the palm is thicker than the rest of
the hand.

How would you draw a record as compared to a cookie?

I wonder if the tactile representation of visual tricks would work tactually on
a blind person, like parallax for example.  I think not.

In school we always dealt with realtime three-D models of objects, or even
well-done thermoform representations of three-dimensional objects.

Ha.  As for the funnies, well, maybe I’ll write a one-dimensional book about
them one day.

The tactile picture of an elongated cylinder in no way conjures up in my mind
the actual image of a cylinder.  It cannot come up off of the page. <quizzzical
look here>

To some blind adults, tactile graphics, perfectly clear to a sighted person,
feel like a jumple of lines and curves with absolutely no meaning.  I suppose
that subjectively I’m somewhere in between, except that I know the symbols for
electrical schematics and such.  The are purely symbolic and not pictorial.

Charles

  From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Sun, January 29, 2012 8:14 pm
  To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Many blind children (and also adults) cannot conceive drawing a
three-dimensional object in a two-dimensional medium.  Whether it is a
neurological, a developmental or comceptual block, this is so for many.
Three-dimensional visualizing, and more critically here the sense of sight
being able to “see” in three dimensions must be learned within a narrow windows
at an early time in the child’s life.  Else it doesn’t seem to take.

  Charles