[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: <ann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:45:36 -0700

I love this conversation.

I have not experienced the limitation of a one shot window of comprehension that Charles has seen. I teach art at the Colorado Center for the Blind (students 18+ years old) for the last 12 years and over the years we have come up with some really accessible ways to explore (hands on) picture plane concepts like: over lap and outline, foreground, middle and background, horizon, convergence and diminution of size and the like. It really seems that most of the time I am giving words to concepts that have been living right below the surface of consciousness anyway, it is not really that big a leap. One of the first lessons we start with is recognizing, sorting and naming basic shapes. Then when you move onto a concept like point of view or point of perception and trying to draw a 3D object, we can deconstruct the object into basic forms and start there. For example - my hand face on is a big rectangle with five skinny rectangles arranged around it. That is basic then I can refine.  I find that technique works equally well for sighted people who have no idea how to convert a 3D object into a 2D picture either.
    I have modified a perspective machine that is ripped from the brain of Albrecht Durer. With that student are able to tactually create their own pictures using all the standard picture conventions with their own imaginations. Very fun and students have made some wonderful art work that they can self critique towards improving their skills.

Ann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keep In Touch!
www.SensationalBooks.com
P.O. Box 261085