[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

  • From: "Deborah Kent Stein" <dkent5817@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:39:19 -0600

I think part of the problem is that blind children have such extremely limited
exposure to pictures of any kind, and generally are not encouraged to attempt
to draw pictures of their own.  Sighted children are exposed to pictures almost
from the day they're born - think of all those bunnies and teddy bears that
decorate the nursery, even before the storybooks arrive!  When a picture
appears in a Braille children's book it's a "tactile graphic," a novelty to be
explained and discovered rather than something the child enjoys and expects as
a matter of course.  In his book Drawing and the Blind, Richard M. Kennedy
discusses a number of studies of blind people who had no prior experience with
drawing, yet almost intuitively were able to bridge the gap between three  and
two dimensions.  The work of the Turkish artist Esref Armagon, who is totally
blind from birth, demonstrates that blind people can master the nuances of
prospective with instruction and practice.