accessible-iOS please help very frustrated

  • From: "zoe" <fiogkos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:32:58 -0400

Hi listers,
as the subject says I'm so frustrated, I'm all most in tears.
A while back I was at the university of waterloo in Ontario Canada, and some
one demonstrated the zoomreader app to me to help me read boxes and cans
amongst other things.  At the time I thought as soon as I could afford it I
definitely would invest in this app.  A few days ago my husband got me an app
store card.  By now there was a lot of apps I wanted since I laid my eyes on
zoomreader back in February.  Since zoomreader is $20.00 and that was the full
amount of the card, I decided to get some other things I wanted and get the
zoomreader another time.  I got the sluzzle game and abbyy text grabber and
translator, and so far I am really happy with the purchases I made.  I also
wanted to get a portable cctv in February because that was also demonstrated to
me at the University but they are very expensive, and this morning I was
browsing the via app and I clicked on cctv and magnification and came across an
app called seeit, and after reading the description decided to get it, here is
where my frustration starts.
The app comes with an invert feature which works just fine, it makes the page
black with white text which is the only way my eyes can actually see printed
material.  The app is pretty straight forward, there is a flash light button on
the top right hand corner of the screen.  At the bottom there is a normal
button, color button, an invert button and a resume/pause button.  The app when
you open it basically automatically opens your video camera using the rear
facing camera.  Right above these buttons is a long bar that if you swipe up
and down it's suppose to zoom the screen.  All buttons work with voiceover.  I
placed a cd cover on a white counter background and low and behold in the
middle of the screen there is a black square with white lines on it.  I try
zooming it but nothing.  When I move the camera close to the document the white
lines become large blurry peaces of text.  I let the I phone stand still for it
to autofocus and maybe that will clear up the text, but nothing.  I tried with
regular color but nothing, I tried with the flash light on and off but nothing.
 I let my fully sighted husband try the app, and guess what?
he couldn't get the text clear unless he had it at it's smallest zoom level and
even then he had to wear his glasses to read the print.  The app has a problem
zooming and auto focusing and it doesn't replace thousand dollar portable
cctv's as the seller describes on the app store.  I just wasted seven dollars
from my gift card which could have went somewhere else to give me accessibility
in another app to make my life easier.
I contacted apple and they told me they could not help me with support because
I bought my I phone a year ago and I was not entitled to support unless I paid
$35.00 then I told the lady that it was regarding the app store, an app that
doesn't stand up to it's description, and that who do I contact about a refund.
 She told me the only way to get help was to visit www.expresslane.apple.com
So I did, all I got was frequently asked questions, articles, and tricks &
tips, and instructions.  Great for other issues but nothing about refunds.
Then I called the toll free accessibility number and the really nice guy told
me to click on to the same sight, and click on iTunes, then store, then
purchases and downloads.  I tried this too but nothing, no where where I could
send a request for a refund.  I'm so sorry for the long message but I wanted to
be as clear and detailed with my problem and frustration.  Can anyone help?  Am
I stuck with a six dollar plus applicable provincial taxes app that I can't
use?  There must be a way to get my money back and use it towards an app that
will be beneficial to me and my accessibility needs, instead of an app sitting
on my phone that not only I can't use but even a sighted person can't use.
Thanks for listening, again please accept my apologies for the long message,
and thank you in advance to anyone who can provide me with any feedback or help.
Regards
the almost in tears Zoe