accessible-iOS accelarometer - was accessible pedometer app?

  • From: "RobH." <bobsh51@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 09:28:36 +0100

I'd like to see techo comments about the quality and sophistication of the
accelarometer, or however that's spelled, as used in the idevices.

A good one with a good fast processor monitoring degree and level and
direction  of stress in khz or mhz;  could determine quite a lot quite
accurately. It would need to sample as often and as good as a good sound
digitisor to form a reasonably well defined wave pattern to calculate the
details from.  The space program use this kind of thing coupled with
gyro-compasses, as they haven't got gps beyond Earth orbit.

Thoughts?  Rh.
From: Donna <mermaid7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 19:27:30 -0400

I have NEVER seen a "true" pedometer app NOT use stride info to
measure distance.

Before I lost my sight I owned 3 different brands of pedometers
that I clipped to my waistband and all 3 required a stride
measurement.

How else would a pedometer be able to properly calculate walking
distance without a stride measurement???

All pedometer calculations are estimates. Like you stated
depending on your walking pace, your stride length will vary.

Donna

On Sep 7, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Thanks, I'll give it a try. I don't really trust step-measuring
apps or devices, because my steps vary significantly in length.
In fact, a different app I tried today was off by about half a
mile after a four and a half mile walk.
 On Sep 7, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Donna <mermaid7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 Here is a link to a pedometer app that I use. It displays time
and distance travelled. The app can bee used with the phone in
locked mode. You can listen to music while using the app.

 The app has 5 unlabeled buttons across the bottom. They are as
follows in this order; share on facebook, share on twitter,
contact email support, playlist, settings. I haven't tried to
label the buttons because their order is easy to remember. Also
don't panic, the app can be used with metric and unit
measurements. This can be changed within settings.

 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-pedometer/id607706622?mt=8

 Donna
 try iTreadmill
 On Sep 6, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Alex Hall wrote:

 Hi all,
 To track my guide dog's exercise to see why he's not losing the
weight he should, I need to see how long each of our walks is.
I'm not counting indoor travel, and I know where I am so don't
need a full gps guidance app. I just want something that I can
start, then have it run, preferably while my phone is locked, and
will tell me how far I went when I stop it. Obviously, I need it
to be accessible, and the simpler the better. Does anyone have
any suggestions, or at least apps to avoid? I'll check
www.applevis.com, of course, but I wanted to get your thoughts as
well. Thanks.

 Have a great day,
 Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
 mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx

 With questions, concerns or issues not related to the topics
discussed on list please email the list admin to:
beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx, or on skype at betoa221, or on twitter:
betoa221

accessible-ios-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subscribe on the
subject line.