accessible-iOS Re: off-topic list?

  • From: Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:12:06 -0500

El 23/09/2013 09:10 p.m., Alice Dampman Humel escribió:
what's the off-topic list? what does it discuss?
thanks Alice
On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Beto Arreola <beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi, we did and I don't allow it on this list so stop posting. If you wish Alex and everyone else you can take it to the off topic list and we can discuss it as much as you like there. On Sep 23, 2013, at 6:08 PM, Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think this is on-topic, as it directly affects iOS and peoples' thoughts on its usability. Mods, tell me to kill the thread and I will, but I really think this discussion is good for the list.

Personally, I feel that Apple is far ahead for now, but Android is catching up. They also do things differently, such as having special gestures for back, recent apps, home, and more. The other problem is that your experience depends on what the maker or cell carrier does to the version of Android you get. For instance, the Galaxy tablet I tried for a few days was awful, even after I installed the very latest Talkback, yet Nexus devices (straight Android with no modifications) are great, from what I hear.

Apple is successful because they directly control the hardware and software, so carriers cannot go in and ruin accessibility. That said, I imagine Android will catch up, in its own way, but why is that so bad? Linux, OS10, and Windows all compete in the computer market, and each has its problems, its good points, and its own approaches to handling what it has to do. Android and iOS are the same way visually, competing and doing things differently. Why is it assumed that Apple will be left behind just because Android catches up? I think the two will compete, of course, but competition is good for all markets, and accessibility is no different. On Sep 23, 2013, at 7:19 PM, RJ Sandefur <joltingjacksandefur@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:joltingjacksandefur@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have an Ipad, but my sister has an android tablit. As far as accessibility goes, Is android able to compeat with apple, and in your opinion, will apple become a thing of the past due to android's popularity? RJ

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>

--
Cualquier otra duda, ya saben. ¡Suerte! Saludos desde Tampico, Tamaulipas México
No seamos un cuento seamos una historia. No seamos un tiempo seamos una