accessible-iOS Re: amazon requesting waiver of accessibilityrequirements for e-readers

  • From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 21:02:13 -0500

I don't think the fact that you can't buy a book through the app impacts it's accessibility. A sighted user can't buy a book through the app either. Blind users can use Safari or the Amazon app to buy books, just as sighted users can. These routes are both accessible. Once you buy a book, you don't need to download it to your PC and copy it to your iPhone. You can access it directly from the iPhone.

On 08/07/2013 08:55 PM, Sophie Trist wrote:
I don't use the Kindle app myself, so I can't talk much, but from what
I've heard, it's partially accessible. For instance, I know we can't
download books directly onto the iPhone--we have to get them on a
computer and then we can access them in the app. BTW, I forwarded the
original email to both the NABS list and he list for Louisiana blind
students. I intend to forward it to the NFB Writers' Division mailing
list as well.

From: Josh Gregory <joshkart12@xxxxxxxxx
To: "accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:57:28 -0400
Subject: accessible-iOS Re: amazon requesting waiver of accessibility
requirements for e-readers

No, And NFB and ACB really need to get on this as soon as possible...
Not saying we couldn't fight on our own but our bark would be bigger
than Our bite so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2013, at 8:22 PM, Tony James <megatronjames@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It seems like whenever we take three steps forward, we take two back.
This is really ridiculous and so far as I know, Sony doesn't even make
accessible players.