accessible-iOS Re: Skype vs. GoogleVoice

  • From: jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 06:54:41 -0800

What does it do?

----- Original Message -----
From: Beto Arreola <beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx
To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:43:58 -0600
Subject: accessible-iOS Re: Skype vs. GoogleVoice

A feature of google plus.
On Jul 13, 2013, at 5:29 PM, jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What's a hangout?

----- Original Message -----
From: Cristóbal <crismunoz54@xxxxxxxxx
To: <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:28:50 -0700

Generally speaking, Google Voice is overall more flexible than Skype. Not to
mention free. At least for now.
For my business, I've actually got the Google Voice number forwarded to a Skype number. It's a drop ship set up and I like having two separate telephone numbers in the signature line and invoices to make it look bigger than what it actually is. That and it's good to have a backup in case one
service is out for whatever reason.

With Google Voice, I can create personalized voicemail greetings and other parameters such as going straight to voicemail, ringing through to phones x, y or z. This is helpful when I want to speak to a customer right away when they call me or say a vendor who I don't need to speak to immediately calls they'll just go to voicemail and I can call them back on my time schedule.

If someone leaves a voicemail, I can click through to listen to it from anywhere I am and it'll play in a browser. Whereas Skype I have to sign into the service and access a vm either on the program or in the app. The Skype program itself is a bit more involved and at least as a computer user, it can be a hassle when using Jaws if you're not using some sort of script, plug in or alternative such as GW Connect. I'm lazy and just use a lot of the Jaws cursor in the regular Skype program. I don't really use the iPhone
app for business.

For personal use, again, Google Voice is just more flexible. Ring to different phones, personalized voicemail greetings and group settings for family, friends business contacts like my bank, insurance, utilities, whatever. I use my GV number as my main number and only give my cell out to
my family. No one's the wiser.
The texting feature is great too. I can respond from either the iPhone app, reply to an email message either on my phone or pc quickly without having to launch a separate app for Skype or program on the computer or just go to any
browser. For selling on Craigslist, this is ideal.

Google's more or less ignored Voice for a while now and who knows, if they're willing to kill Google Reader, then perhaps Voice's future isn't all that secure. If you go to Google pages, you really have to hunt for Voice under the more options, but for now, I'm a big time proponent of Voice. The way google Hangouts has been evolving, it may just swallow Voice too. I haven't bothered playing with Hangouts so I can't really say about its accessibility though. I did read earlier in the week though that Google enabled the ability to make phone calls from hangouts so again, who knows,
maybe that's the way it'll end up going.