accessible-iOS Re: Is it possible to move apps into folders using bluetooth or braille display

  • From: "RobH." <bobsh51@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:20:21 -0000

This is going to osund so OT, but maybe interesting.

Unix/Linux used to do most, if not all its configuration details in plain
text files,  so you could grab the generic editor, and edit by hand.  Once
you understood the format, it was easy, and you had utter control.  That
level of ocntrol has been slipping away since windows and total GUI
dominence.  Maybe you can still someof this in Linux, and bet techies here
would like this levelo f control over their devices, here and now.  Like all
things with a learning curve, it would need care and thought, but once
msatered, you'd hate all that tap and pat and click and stick and confirm
and on and on; when you could just write it.
To be fair though, editing even now isn't as straight forward as say, a dos
editor (not WordStar or the like), though windows Notepad is pretty good.

In short, if layout, and other useful configuration details were in an
editable text file, you could  shuffle things round to one's heart ocntent,
and back it up.

But yes, I can here the cynics screaming - if a non-tech started and screwed
it up, it would be so very screwed up.  That is true. Care and attention to
detail was and is a fundamental part of the learning curve of Unix/Linux.

I guess us Dino-Techs are in something of a minority now, and just have to
accept creeping disillusion with the deskilling;  but suppose it's too
sophisticated now for anyone, not even us, to want to have to go through it
all by hand to find the missing , or .

rh.