accessible-iOS Re: Exciting news trying Braille with iOs

  • From: Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:56:51 +0100

Ok could you please share the information regarding reading Braille files with Voice Dream Reader? Thanks!

On 08/07/2013 15:39, Jewel wrote:
I apologize first for assuming you were able to gain access to Bookshare. I
forget that not everyone has such access, though hopefully the new treaty will
change that. You should not have to make any changes to read iBook books via
Braille. I am not as sure about the Kindle app, because I haven't used it yet.
I don't expect, however, that you will need to make any settings changes for
that app, either.
There is also a way to read via Braille in the VoiceDream app, but I haven't
given that a try yet. If you want, I can dig up the email from VoiceDream's
creator about reading files in the app via Braille. I know I didn't delete it.
While there are many apps that you can read the buttons and text in Braille,
the only other app I can think of that is intended specifically for Braille use
is the Access Note app, which is a word processor app that uses Braille
keyboard commands as an alternative to its onscreen buttons.
I hope you enjoy trying out the Focus 40 Blue with your iPhone. That is the
display I have and love using it paired with my own phone. If you are unsure
about how the display interacts with an app, just ask on here and I or another
will do our best to figure it out.
-Jewel

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That can't be done as I live in the Uk and Bookshare isn't available here. How
about iBooks or even the Kindle app?

On 08/07/2013 14:22, Jewel wrote:
Be sure to try it with Read2Go. To read abook via Braille, you willneed to
tweek some settings. In Visual, turn off the page slider. In Audio, turn
Read2Go audio off. Then you can read any Bookshare book or magazine in Braille.
-Jewel

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2013, at 7:14 AM, Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good afternoon all.
All being well, at the end of August a friend is coming down to stay at my
apartment. He is hoping to bring his Braille display, the Focus 40 Blue. He is
happy to let me try it with my iPhone so I can see what all the fuss is about
Braille and iOs devices. I can't wait!
Keep you posted.