[accesscomp] Re: wireless router question

  • From: "ridge007" <ridge_007@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:18:44 -0400

Thanks for the information Scott...!
Rob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:36 AM
Subject: [accesscomp] Re: wireless router question

Rob, do not go with Linksys and here's why.

1. The download site for the firmware updates is inaccessible. Cisco assures me this is being worked on and in fact has done an emergency push of a new version to the carrier / comercial side to make it accessible (I was actually shocked how quickly they responded) but I have no idea how long it will take for consumer support. 2. The routers do not forward at line rate. So say you have something faster than a few megabits the router won't forward fast enough. I have a 100 megabit internet connection in my home and a Linksys router only forwards at about 6 megabits when attached.

On the upside in full disclosure, if you replace the stock linksys firmware with a Linux 3rd party option like dd-wrt or tomato you get better performance. This is a great setup if you need to prototype different wireless network environments on the cheap or if you want to play with advanced features like WDS and radius. You can also compile your own code and place it on the router. I have a Linksys wrt54G with asterisk installed so it's a SIP phone system, access point and router all in one. I was thinking of selling them for a while actually but never got around to it.

You should check out the D-Link routers especially the 855 or 655. Their laterfirmwares have a capcha involved but the most recent release comes with this disabled and makes you enable as a feature so it's not a problem. (just leave at the default disabled state and you're good) I use a DIR-655 at home and 855 and get full line rate and 70 megabits plus using draft N wireless adapters. If you want to go a little more comercial grade get a Cisco aronet 1200 or similar, find a used one on Ebay. It has slots for different radios so you can add what ever support you need.

You might want to check on PC Net, they usually have good reviews.Everyone I know who needs real performance on the consumer side though is using D-Link especially a lot of gamer friends.

One last option is the Sonicwall TZ150W (or what ever the current version is). That offers a lot of advanced features including the ability to kill viruses on the wire before they enter your network. You get a router, good firewall with VPN and access point all in one. Depends on how much you want to spend and your application.

WPA2 is what you want to run security wise. All WPA2 is over WPA is AES encryption instead of TKIP. All modern routers support this feature. For best results hard code your adapters and router to run WPA or WPA2 only. (pick one don't use auto) When you set everything to auto you lose performance so just hard set your specific security type.

Hope that helps.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ridge007" <ridge_007@xxxxxxx>