[accesscomp] Re: windows security issue

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:31:33 -0600

Thank you.

Gene
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 7:17 PM
Subject: [accesscomp] Re: windows security issue

Gene, excelent advice.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:52 PM

Here are some ways to protect yourself that many users are not aware of.
Arlene is correct. We don't know how the person became infected but it is probably at least in part by letting the computer be scanned by a program claiming it would tell the user what problems are on the machine. You should never accept any scans you didn't ask for in the first place. If you go to an online scanning site you know is reputable, that's fine but if you ever get a popup asking to scan your computer or telling you that you have problems on your machine, you should never let it do what it wants to do. Also, if using Internet Explorer, it's a good idea to have Active X controls turned off unless you are on a site where they are required. While many sites yuse Active X controls, just getting a message that the page may not display correctly is not sufficient reason to have them on. If you need them on to play audio or do something specific, that's sufficient reason. but Active X controls are a security risk and you are safer having them off except when you need them on. If you need them on, you can turn them on, then usef5 to refresh the page and the Active X control or controls on the page will then run when needed. If you re using Vista or Windows 77 using protected browsing, you probably don't have to be as careful about this. But unless I knew more than I do about this topic, I would still turn them off unless I knew protected browsing would give me good protection. While running antimalware programs gives a good deal of protection, given the dangerous environment that exists today, I would still have Active X controls off unless needed. Also, if you have a choice of settings for a popup blocker, set it to block all popups. The Microsoft popup blocker gives you a choice and I believe the default is to block some popups. But that's a dangerous setting because no popup blocker can know which popups are safe. It just knows that when it is set to only block some popups, that there are certain kinds of popups it will allow.

Gene
----- Original Message ----- From: "arlene" <nedster6@xxxxxxxxx>