[accesscomp] Re: running low on virtual memory, what's up?

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:38:27 -0500

There is no reason to assume the need for a format.  If such evidence
comes to light, that will be one thing but the message may mean nothing
other than that the machine doesn't have enough physical memory to
accomodate the number of programs used simultaneously and that virtual
memory is used to supplement the available RAM.

Before even beginning to form an opinion about whether anything needs to
be done about this message, we need information including the following:
What version of Windows is being run.  How much RAM is on the computer.
Are you satisfied with the speed of the computer?  Did it slow down after
you got the message?  How many programs were running at the time.

Malware may use enough RAM, if a person is seriously infected that it may
cause physical memory to be fully used but I am not saying that malware is
on the computer.  I'm saying that it is a possible cause of the problem
and may need to be considered along with other possible causes.

Your computer has a certain amount of physical memory, RAM.  If your
computer requires more memory than is available, virtual memory is used.
Virtual memory is stored in a file on the hard drive.  If the file is not
large enough to store the information, Windows increases the size, if the
virtual memory settings allow windows to automatically determine the size
of the file.

You never need to format a computer with such a problem unless you are
infected with malware and that is the only way to reliably know it is
gone.  If you are running too many programs simultaneously, you can either
run fewer or put more RAM in the computer.  If the computer is not slowing
down and you are satisfied with its performance, you don't have to do
anything, assuming you are not infected.

Gene