[accesscomp] online Social Security information

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pagesplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:32:09 -0800

        For Immediate Release           410-965-8904

                < mailto:press.office@xxxxxxx>press.office@xxxxxxx

    Social Security Announces New Online Services Available with a my Social
Security Account

    Michael J. Astrue, Commissioner of Social Security, today announced the
agency is expanding the services available with a my Social Security account, a
personalized online account that people can use beginning in their working
years and continuing throughout the time they receive Social Security benefits.
More than 60 million Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security
Income (SSI) recipients can now access their benefit verification letter,
payment history, and earnings record instantly using their online account.
Social Security beneficiaries also can change their address and start or change
direct deposit information online.

    "We are making it even easier for people to do their business with us from
the comfort of their home, office, or library," Commissioner Astrue said. "I
encourage people of all ages to take advantage of our award-winning online
services and check out the new features available through an online my Social
Security account."

    Social Security beneficiaries and SSI recipients with a my Social Security
account can go online and get an official benefit verification letter
instantly. The benefit verification letter serves as proof of income to secure
loans, mortgages and other housing, and state or local benefits. Additionally,
people use the letter to prove current Medicare health insurance coverage,
retirement or disability status, and age. People can print or save a customized
letter.

    Social Security processed nearly nine million requests for benefit
verification letters in the past year. This new online service allows people to
conduct business with Social Security without having to visit an office or make
a phone call, and very often wait for a letter to arrive in the mail. It also
will reduce the time spent by employees completing these requests and free them
to focus on other workloads.

    People age 18 and older can sign up for an account at <
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount > www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.
Once there, they must be able to provide information about themselves and
answers to questions that only they are likely to know. After completing the
secure verification process, people can create a my Social Security account
with a unique user name and password to access their information.

    People age 18 and older who are not receiving benefits can sign up for a my
Social Security account to get a personalized online Social Security Statement.
The online Statement provides eligible workers with secure and convenient
access to their Social Security earnings and benefit information, and estimates
of future benefits they can use to plan for their retirement. In addition, the
portal also includes links to information about other online services, such as
applications for retirement, disability and Medicare.

    "Given our significantly reduced funding, we have to find innovative ways
to continue to meet the needs of the American people without compromising
service," said Commissioner Astrue. "These new enhancements will allow us to
provide faster service to more people in more places."

    For more information, please go to <
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount>www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount .

    SSA Press Office 440 Altmeyer Building 6401 Security Blvd. Baltimore, MD
21235

    410-965-8904 FAX 410-966-9973

  Guide Dog Users Inc. Supporting Guide Dog Teams Since 1972

  www.gdui.org

  business@xxxxxxxx

  To unsubscribe send an email with unsubscribe in the subject line to:

  To contact the moderators of this list, send an email to:
  business-owner@xxxxxxxx

  If you ever want to change your options (e.g., switch to or from digest mode,
change your password,
  etc.), visit
  http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/business
  You must log in and use the password provided when you first subscribed.
  Business-request@xxxxxxxx
  with the word 'help' in the subject or body (don't include the quotes), and
you will get back a message
  with instructions.
  You must know your password to change your options (including changing the
password, itself) or to
  unsubscribe. Normally, Mailman will remind you of your gdui.org mailing list
passwords once every
  month, although you can disable this if you prefer. This reminder will also
include instructions on how
  to unsubscribe or change your account options. There is also a button on your
options page that will
  email your current password to you.

  Disclaimer:

  The opinions expressed in this message are solely the views of the individual
who posted
  it, and they do not reflect the viewpoints of GDUI or its list moderators.
GDUI encourages
  discussion about guide dogs and issues related to guide dogs, but does not
necessarily
  endorse the individual viewpoints posted in any particular message appearing
on this list.
Mary Beth, Tennyson, and the zoo crew

The band played on and on, With no one looking at their watch, And just when
you thought it couldn't get any
better They would turn it up a notch
Trans Siberian Orchestra

[...]

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.