[accesscomp] need help troubleshooting laptop battery

  • From: "ridge007" <ridge_007@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:44:38 -0500

Hi all,
I have a dell laptop that is malfunctioning. the latitude begin to shut off
unexpectedly recently.
first thing I noticed was that the battery life had shortened. In my attempt to
troubleshoot I removed the battery to run the computer off of the ac power with
the battery disconnected. I reasoned that if the system booted and operated
properly I had a battery problem.
The system didn't work with the battery removed. Therefore, I conclude I need
an ac adapter. Is my deduction correct, or, am I missing something?
Before I spend $60-$100 for the replacement adapter I thought I would get a
second opinion, smile!
I am not sure if a dead battery can be charged? On the other hand, I'm not sure
that the puter will operate without  the battery attached?
Thanks, Rob