[accesscomp] Re: microphone inquirey

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:46:00 -0500

Have you tried adjusting the Microphone volume level in Windows volune
control?  You may have the level set much too high which will result in
severe distortion in recordings.  If you need to know how to work with the
Windows volume control, ask here.  I can't help with the Vista volume
control. The interface is not the same as the interface used in XP or
earlier.  Knowing how to work with the Windows volume control is essential
for anyone who is recording using Windows.

When a problem like this occurs, uninstalling and reinstalling devices or
drivers should not be attempted until you make sure you are using
appropriate volume settings.

If experimenting with volume control settings doesn't solve the problem,
I'd suggest getting an inexpensive external microphone..  You don't need a
microphone that requires drivers or any kind of installation.  Radio shack
makes a clip on microphone that provides good speech results and costs
about sixteen or eighteen dollars.  You can clip it onto something like a
shirt collar but I just hold it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds
better than the microphone built into your pc even if that microphone was
recording properly.  the microphone I am discussing is not a USB
microphone.  You simply plug it into the microphone jack of the sound
card, set the Windows volume control to record from the microphone source
and adjust the microphone volume.  this microphone doesn't produce
professional quality sound but the sound is fine for general use.  Radio
shcak has a good return policy and if you don't like the microphone, you
probably have two weeks to return it.

Gene