[accesscomp] Re: messages disappeared from e-mail folder

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:22:55 -0600

It is not safe to keep messages in Outlook Express e-mail folders for permanent storage. You should either make backup copies of the dbx folders if you want to permanently keep messages in that way or you should save messages you want to keep outside of the program as you receive them and back up the folder or folders containing those saved messages if you want to be sure not to loose them just as every file you want to be sure not to loose should be backed up. You may be able to see the messages again if you don't allow Outlook Express to compact messages for now. You can either use a program like DBxTract, which you can find in the programs section of:

http://www.jfwlite.com
to attempt to recover the messages or you can follow this procedure:
I won't go into all the details of how you find the dbx folders in this message. They are hidden folders and if you set the search to show hidden folders, you will see them. but the best thing to do would probably be to set Windows to show hidden files and then you'll see the files whether you are seeing them in the search results list or not. And you won't then have to set the Windows search program to show hidden files. Outlook Express should be closed when performing these procedures. Do a Windows search for *.dbx and, when you find the file with the name of the folder, copy that dbx folder somewhere else. Then delete the folder from its original location. In Outlook Express, create a new folder with exactly the same name in the same level in the folder list. In other words, if it was in the local folders level, recreate it there. If it was a folder inside of the inbox level, recreate it there. Then copy the old dbx file over the new one. answer yes when asked if you want to replace the existing file. Now close Windows search if you haven't already and open Outlook Express. See what messages are in the folder.

Gene
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sherri" <flmom2006@xxxxxxxxx>