[accesscomp] Re: math dilemma.

  • From: "Andrew Godwin" <agodwin72@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:04:13 -0400

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Pauls" <jamiepauls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:31 PM
Subject: [accesscomp] Re: math dilemma.

It was so far over my head I wouldn't know if it was on topic or on another planet. (grin) Sorry. I couldn't resist. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:35 AM

Hi Angelina and list,
I don't think so. If IT pro test is what this guy is taking, then he would
know about technical knowledge on operating electronic devices. Brailler
would be an option, considering hard-copy material and instant proof of what
he is doing.
Some mathematical concepts, including the notion of change (which calculus
is the main branch) and graphs, could be a limiting factor in use of
braillers. For instance, the graph of the derivative function
Dy/dx x^2 = 2x
Cannot easily represented in hard-copy braille (a special drawing pen is
needed to show that the rate of change, or derivative of this function x^2
is 2x). Also, the algebraic concepts that are employed for this testing,
such as functions of circles, can be created and manipulated easily in
textual form (when using brailler) i.e. x-h^2-y-K^2 = C (Center of the
circle), but drawing the circle would be difficult. This is the reason why I
suggest memorization for those who are going through similar processes.
I know, calculus and other math can be fun, but without adequate
understanding, memorization and imagination, one cannot conquer math easily
as a blind student... I have done this before and am doing it now as a
college student...
Sorry Jamie if it was off-topic...
Cheers,
Joseph P.S. The fastest way of learning calculus is via studying and
creating your own problem sets...