[accesscomp] great low vision device from GW Micro

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:59:15 -0700

            This is all the information we have on this.
GW Micro is proud to announce a major innovation in low vision
technology.  The Orabis
and the Vocatex are the first HD video magnifiers (also known as CCTVs)
that recognize
text and read it back to you - all without a computer.
Low vision consumers have long been plagued with eye fatigue derived
from having
to read everything on their CCTV screen. In fact, many consumers of
video magnifiers
are only able to read for a very short period of time.  The Orabis and
Vocatex distributed
by GW Micro now solve the problems CCTV users have had for decades by
reading the
magnified text out loud and eliminating the need to stare at the screen
for long
periods of time.
"Before the Orabis and the Vocatex, it was very difficult to read
printed material
on a CCTV for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time," said Jeremy Curry,
Director
of Training for GW Micro. Curry suffers from Cone Dystrophy, a retinal
degenerative
eye condition. "For someone with an eye condition similar to mine, such
as Macular
Degeneration or other eye diseases that cause low vision, the Orabis and
the Vocatex
are miracle machines. I can now put printed text under the CCTV, press a
button,
sit back and let the machine read to me." In addition to speaking the
text, a focus
rectangle follows each word as it is spoken making it simple for a low
vision consumer
to see exactly where they are in the document. There are no special
modes to go in
and out of. The image a low vision consumer sees is exactly how the text
appears
to a sighted person.
The Orabis and the Vocatex do not require a computer. They consist of
the CCTV with
a monitor mounted on top. The Vocatex was first released in Belgium on
October 2,
2009, making it the world's first talking CCTV that shows the magnified
image and
reads at the same time. Both units were created by KOBA Vision, a
Belgium firm who
has been providing high-end low vision solutions for over 25 years. "We
are extremely
happy to have GW Micro as our North American distributor," said Bart
Peremans, Director
of Sales and Marketing for KOBA Vision. "We believe the Orabis and the
Vocatex provide
the best possible solution for our low vision customers. The Vocatex has
been extremely
successful throughout Europe, and we are very excited to bring it to
North America."
"This is a technology revolution in the world of low vision," said Dan
Weirich, Vice
President of Sales and Marketing for GW Micro. "It's amazing that a
person who is
legally blind can use this simple machine to read printed material just
by pressing
a button and having the machine instantly read to them."
The Vocatex was the first talking video magnifier created by KOBA
Vision.  The patented
technology was then used to create the Orabis. The Orabis boasts many of
the same
features of the Vocatex, and is the entry-level unit in the new series.
The Orabis
provides HD video, and comes with a large 22-inch widescreen monitor
with a minimum
magnification of 2x and includes 22 different languages and has 32
high-quality human-sounding
voices from Nuance.
For low vision consumers who need a larger monitor, they can step up to
the Vocatex,
which comes with a 26, 32, or 37-inch monitor.  The Vocatex comes in two
models:
the Vocatex and Vocatex Plus. Both Vocatex models are HD, and the
Vocatex Plus comes
with multiple languages (just like the Orabis), the ability to move by
sentence with
speech, a lower magnification starting point, and many more options.
If you would like to check our YouTube video that showcases these
innovative new
products, please visit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYcfVG4SxOk
.
For pricing, specifications, and other information, call GW Micro at
(260) 489-3671,
email GW Micro at
sales@xxxxxxxxxxx
, or check out GW Micro on the web at www.gwmicro.com.
GW Micro has been a trusted pioneer in the adaptive technology industry
since 1990,
and continues to lead with innovative, customer driven solutions.
KOBA Vision is a Belgium-based company that provides high-end solutions
to customers
with low vision, and continues to lead the industry in low vision
innovation.
Contact:
Dan Weirich, Vice President of Sales and Marketing
dan@xxxxxxxxxxx
(260) 489-3671

This is an Announce only list.  Subscribers are not able to post to this list.
You will find the list archives at:
http://accessible-devices.com/pipermail/a-d_accessible-devices.com/
Sorry, but we're not able to provide help for archive users.
To unsubscribe from the Accessible Devices list copy the line below.  Paste it
inthe
To: line of a blank message and send it.
You may download our podcasts from this link,
http://www.accessible-devices.com/Podcasts.html
Or if you're using a podcatcher of some type the subscribe URL is.
http://www.accessible-devices.com/feed.xml
Visit our website at:
www.accessible-devices.com
Please feel free to pass this message on to a friend who might like to
subscribe.
To subscribe to Accessible Devices send a blank e mail to:
a-d-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just follow the directions in the confirmation message when it comes.
Please Note: Accessible Devices is not able to provide tech support for software
or products that we supply information about.

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.