[accesscomp] Re: backing up a hard drive

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 08:06:34 -0600

I dohn't see any reason to spend what appears to be much more money for a
flash drive for the intended use.
Have you compared prices between flash drives and external hard drives?  A
64gb flash drive costs roughly between 120 and 140 dollars.  I checked one
200gb USB hard drive from one business and found that it costs about 134
dollars.  Obviously, a smaller USB drive would cost less.  but if the
intention is to have a drive that will hold more material over time as,
assumedly, you will have more material to store the longer you use a
computer, it  would probably make far more sense and save money in the
long run to purchase a hard drive that is larger than your current
requirements.  Since I have no idea how quickly you amass new material, I
can't say whether a 200gb hard drive would be worth purchasing.  Perhaps a
smaller drive would be fine.  But I expect, and you will either have to
check prices or wait for other comments, that for any similar size, a USB
hard drive would be significantly cheaper than a flash drive.

Gene