[accesscomp] Re: a basic computer question

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:36:11 -0700

There's a few ways to go with this.

If you're stuck on this green nonsense you will want to turn off the computer because it theoretically uses less energy. Yes, some of the components actually do last longer if left on. You're thinking old school moving parts, this is a matter of seriously tiny massively integrated circuits that can easily break. When you heat and cool these tiny devices they stress and over time break. Just like brain cells the more pathways break the less reliable the whole system becomes. However, this is almost directly countered by the fact that yes, your hard disk when left on will die sooner so really, the best configuration possible is to leave the computer itself on, allow the disks to sleep and insure that you don't have any programs that prevent the disks from entering a sleep state, and allow your monitor to use its power saving features. That way the non moving parts stay stable, the hard drive shuts down and your monitor is only on when someone's at the keyboard.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Desiree Oudinot" <turtlepower17@xxxxxxxxx>