[accesscomp] THE NEW BOOK PORT DESK TOP FEATURED TONIGHT, TEK TALK, 8 PM EDT, THE PAT PRICE ROOM: WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 07:59:24 -0700

    Accessible World Spotlights Roy Avers On Books And Beyond, Wednesday,
September26, 2012
Newswire:
When I asked Roy Avers to appear on Books And Beyond, he said, "I don't have a
background in radio. I haven't worked  as an actor as many narrators have.
There is probably not much to say about me."
Roy Avers  had a career in the business world, but I wouldn't have known that
without doing research on this modest  kind man.
"Why should I come to a show where the guest has little to say about himself?"
you ask.
It is the quiet unassuming people who often have the most to share. Inside them
are riches  to be uncovered. Our reward is the treasure of knowing a fine
person who has much to impart.
What can I tell you about Roy Avers? I can tell you first he is a man  with a
fine sense of what is important and of value in our world. Yes, you will find
more than 300 books on Bard from which you may choose, and he has read
everything from romance,   religion,   westerns,  to   science fiction.
After speaking with Roy, phenomenal as that information is, there is so  much
more. Roy is serious about living a life of value. He is kind and down to
earth. For us, he   is a star in audio book narration. I think Avers  would say
he is just doing a job he loves the best he can.
There are two kinds of readers involved with Bard. Some read a book mostly for
the book. Some love the books and love the narrators too. They realize the
historic importance of the place they hold.
As we have interviewed narrators all of us involved with Books And Beyond
cherish sharing narrators with you. Close to our hearts and a big part of the
mission of this show is bringing guests  of historic significance  to you. Roy
Avers is living history. We are thrilled to have the opportunity of sharing an
hour with him with all of you.
I hope you will join us for a narrator with a different view. He was busy doing
other work when narration came along and is today a master  of the craft.   I
know you will enjoy meeting Roy and getting to know him better as I will.
Below is some biographical information about him  followed by details informing
you how you can be a part of this important and not to be missed upcoming show.
If you care about books, narrators, or just want to show your appreciation for
one of the best, please join us.

Roy Avers comes across as gruff as the basso he sings in the
Louisville Opera. When he first began to narrate at the American
Printing House for the Blind (APH), his colleagues were
frightened. They thought he was forbidding and stern, and the
suit and tie he wore didn't help. "Later they realized I'm a
pussy cat," said Avers.
     Serious in person, he saves the emotion for his narrating.
"I can't swear at people in the business world," he deadpans.
Avers prefers to read fiction because it allows him to portray
different characters and display feelings using his voice.
     As a youth, Avers wanted to be a radio announcer. "I would
repeat what the announcer said in the way he said it." In
college, he started in journalism but switched to theater arts.
Meanwhile, he married and soon had children. After graduation, he
entered the business world to make a living.
     In his forties, Avers started doing volunteer work as a
textbook narrator, but was directed to APH because his voice was
too emotive. He has been there since 1976. Now a semi-retired
computer consultant, he is free to narrate more books.
     Avers, sixty-three, lives in Louisville with his wife. He
has four children, one step-daughter, three grandchildren, and
two adopted grandchildren.

e-Mail: bookmaven1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Time: 5:00 PM PDT,                                        ,   6:00 PM MDT,
7 PM Cdt
8 PM EDT, ,
and elsewhere in the world Thursday,   12:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to

The Books and Beyond Room at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs3cfe7424e06c

Or, alternatively,

Select The Books and Beyond Room at: www.accessibleworld.org

Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.

If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing
software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download
and then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to
the Accessible World rooms.

All online interactive programs are free of charge, and open to anyone
worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers, and a sound
card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the presenters and
others in the virtual audience. To speak to us, hold down the control key
and let up to listen. If no microphone is available, you may text chat with
the attendees.

Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the
topic and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The
lists are announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum. You can join the
Accessible World Announce List, the Tek Talk Announce List or the Sports
Talk Announce List by completing the form at:

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair

Accessible World

818-998-0044

Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Marcia Moses, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

734-495-1496

Email: mgmoses@xxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Hoffman, President

Talking Communities

Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the
disabled community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly
relevant information about new products, services, and training
opportunities designed specifically to eliminate geographic and access
barriers that adversely affect them.  aspect
To contact the list owners, write to:  db-review-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To resubscribe to the list, send a blank email to:
db-review-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

DB-Review is neither sponsored by nor endorsed by the Library of Congress or
any of its divisions including the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.