[accesscomp] TEK TALK FEATURES TECHNOLOGY AT THE ACB CONVENTION, GUESTS: JANET DICKELMAN, CONVENTION COORDINATOR, JOHN MCCANN, ACB SECOND VICE PRESIDENT, FRANK CUTA, RETIRED ENGINEER AUG. 10, 2015, 8 PM EDT, PAT PRICE ROOM: WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 08:30:26 -0700

NEWSWIRE: MONDAY AUGUST 10, 2015, 8 PM EDT, THE PAT PRICE
ROOM: <http://WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG> WWW.ACCESSIBLEWORLD.ORG

TEK TALK WELCOMES THREE HONORED GUESTS,JANET DICKELMAN, JOHN McCann and
Frank Cuta TO DISCUSS THE USE OF TECHNOLOGY AT THE ACB CONVENTION.

Tek Talk is very pleased to welcome three honored guests to discuss the
overall topic: USING PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY AT CONVENTIONS .

They are Janet Dickelman, ACB Convention Coordinator; John McCann, Second
Vice President, American Council of the Blind and Frank Cuta of the
Washington State ACB Affiliate.

Frank Cuta is a retired Engineer who is definitely a longtime technology
user.

Janet Dickelman has prepared the following statement:

From audible beacons giving verbal directions to locations at the Sheraton
for iDevice users to information broadcasted on ACB radio and via telephone
the 2015 ACB conference and convention met the technology needs of
convention attendees and those joining ACB from home. The conference also
featured seminars and workshops providing information on cutting edge
technology. Hear more about this and the latest information about the 2016
convention in Minneapolis from convention coordinator Janet Dickelman. For
further information contact Janet at <mailto:janet.dickelman@xxxxxxxxx>
janet.dickelman@xxxxxxxxx or call her at (651) 428-5059.

Also, let us read a statement from John McCann.

I plan to concentrate on use of the iPhone and applications running under
its operating system, (IOS). For basic orientation, I plan to discuss use
of the compass app, which is included with IOS 8.4 and all previous versions
of that operating system, and then talk about BlindSquare for more detailed
exporation of the surrounding area. I plan to talk about text messaging
given that the blizzard of convention activity oftentimes necessitates
communicating asynchronously. (I never bother to use the hotel's telephone
system any more; I'm hardly ever in my room. As far as cell phone
conversations, they are almost invariably initiated when I'm in meetings or
in other settings that preclude my being able to take the call when it is
made.) Similarly, I want to talk about using social media, both for
communication and for the purpose of publicizing the convention activities
in which I am participating. I believe it would be in order to talk about
the indoor "way-finding" technology application just developed by "MD
Support", but will not be able to say much about this technology since I did
not have the time to use it in Dallas.

My contact info is as follows:

John A. McCann

Mailing address:

8761 E Placita Bolivar

Tucson, AZ 85715-5650

Telephone contacts:

Home: (520) 232-2100

Cell: (571) 212-3100

\

Email:

<mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxx> lists@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Monday August 10, 2015

Time: 5:00 p.m. Pacific, 6:00 p.m. Mountain, 7:00 p.m. Central, 8:00 p.m.
Eastern and elsewhere in the world Tuesday 12:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time: go to The Pat Price
Tek Talk Training Room at:

<http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rsc9613dc89eb2>
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rsc9613dc89eb2

Or, alternatively:

Select The Pat Price Tek Talk Training Room at:
<outbind://6/www.accessibleworld.org> www.accessibleworld.org

Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.

To speak to us, hold down the control key and talk then let up to listen.

You can also text chat with us by using f8.

All of our programs are recorded and can be downloaded from our archives on:
www.accessibleworld.org.

Please go into one of the conference room and then to download and enter.
Download, run and install our simple software which enables you to speak to
us. Then reenter the room. To talk, hold down the control key. To listen let
it up.

Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the
topic and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The
lists are announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum.

You can join the Accessible World one way Announce List by visiting:

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/aw-announcements

or by sending an email to:

aw-announcements+subscribe@xxxxxxxxx

Accessible World also provides a Tek Talk Discussion List. This list is
intended to give you an opportunity to ask computer related questions,
suggest topics to be used in the weekly Monday training programs, or just to
interact with others interested in using assistive devices to access
computers. You may sign up for this list by going to:

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/tek-talk-discussion

or by sending an email to:

tek-talk-discussion+subscribe@xxxxxxxxx

If you have a twitter account, feel free to follow us. Tek talk and other
archives and events will be tweeted.

http://www.twitter.com/accessibleWrld

You can also sign up for the Tek Talk and other lists accessible world has
by going to:

http://accessibleworld.org and clicking on the "News Wires and Discussion
Mailing Lists" link.

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair

Accessible World

818-998-0044

Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

Randi Shelton, Events Coordinator

Accessible World

Phone: 412-221-0821

Email: rshelton820@xxxxxxxxx

Steve Hoffman, President

Talking Communities

Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3)
not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the
disabled community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly
relevant information about new products, services, and training
opportunities designed specifically to eliminate geographic and access
barriers that adversely affect them

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044