[accesscomp] Random thoughts on thumb drives was Re: Re: retaining all e-mail messages on primary computer

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:52:36 -0700

Thumb drives are the bees knees.

I mean it, the bees freakin knees!  If you're an engineer you can carry around
collections of small programs you use every day, install small linux
distributions and make things out of them like an entire phone switch
http://nerdvittles.com , carry around a small installation of jfw, leave secret
messages for geo cachers, conduct space experiments and far more.  Anybody
remember the old days of buying memory in blocks of 64K for upwards of $500
per?  Just to put things in perspective.  These thumb drives are so cheep they
literally give them away and contain gigabytes of space.  Although, I have to
admit, this whole (the network being an extension of the desktop thing) wierd!
At 150+ megabits it's almost impossible to tell anymore the difference between
locally run and remote applications.  All this stuff out in the cloud just
blends in now on the desktop, I really never would have called it working this
well and I was selling internet access up until 1998.
    With stuff like backups now you might as well use a solution like Jungle
Disk which allows you to store all your files, securely encrypted, up on the
Amazon computing cloud for a very few bucks considering what you're doing.