[accesscomp] PDFZilla, Hope Was Premature

  • From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:30:59 -0600

I found the following comment below my text, on the program page at the give
away a day.com site.

This still might be a good program for converting complex formatted or copy
protected text based PDF to a plain text or Word document, it just doesn't have
OCR as I had hoped for dealing with those pesky image based files.  For this,
PDF Magic from Premier at http://www.readingmadeeasy.com may  still be the best
option.

Also you can convert to flash or swf type files, which is great for a blind web
developer wanting to use Flash, but it doesn't help us to read flash,  since yo
can't convert from SWF files.

The other problem with this PDFZilla program is one person said it converted
the text elements into a text box in Word.  Well, JAWS and Windoweyes can't
really read stuff in text boxes, at least that's my understanding.  So play at
your own risk.  However, none of this lessen's the value of this great resource
for obtaining free fully licensed software.

Reg

***Here's the comment from the site.

Just an added note: keep in mind that PDFs that are saved from images (or
scans) will not convert into text but into images in the resulting document.
This means that RTF will not show anything if the file is completely imagery.
However, SWF works for everything I've tested so far :)