[accesscomp] Re: Need a netbook recommendation

  • From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:21:50 -0600

Many of the netbooks don't even have fans and are almost silent.  I was
attracted to a solid state hard drive, and the idea of no moving parts at
all, but the solid state hard drive still have possible longevity issues,
and don't necessarily boot that much more quickly.  And the cost is still
pretty hi.  It's hard to beat a 160 GB drive.  My MSI has always ran nice
and cool.  My only objection to the Lanovo's, at least last year when I was
looking deeply into this, was that they all only came with 4 cell batteries.
Netbooks seem to run much cooler than laptops.  I've never had a problem
running it on my lap.  And most allow you to turn off the touch pad and
adjust the brightness with the f keys on the top row.  If I could find one
that's built like a tank with a sub woofer in the base like what he
mentioned, I'd be all over it.  I love that these are so inexpensive and
give so much real performance for the money.  2 years ago the OQo was the
only game in town for a baby laptop.  Now from what I understand they are
out of business.  Completely overtaken by these technologies.