[accesscomp] Microsoft Security Essentials

  • From: "Pat Hart" <pat.hart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:54:52 -0600

Hi List, I recently bought a new computer in August and ran Microsoft Live One
Care for an anti virus program and firewall on it.. I had a subscription to it
and had it for over 2 years. Microsoft notified me that I would get it free for
6 months and at that time they would go to Security Essentials as I have Vista
Home Premium for an OS.. They informed me I would have to take off One Care
before I could download and install Security Essentials for it to work properly
which I can understand that but their tech support e-mail  is complicated and I
am legally blind and explained that to the support person on the phone which
she then told me they did not do phone support for Security Essentials.. Then
she sent me an e-mail with a lot of step by step instructions written for a
mouse user in it. I will have to find someone to come and assist me in doing
this when they can find time, someone who is more sighted than I am but most of
my friends are busy and can only come on the weekends.. I am wondering,
however, if I even want to install this program. I used to use Norton but had
some problems with it a few years ago and that is why I went to Live One Care
and did not have any problems with it. I know Norton and how the program works
and also know there is AV g a free virus program but know nothing about it or
how to use it or how to check on what it does. With Norton I know how to go in
and check to see what reports it gives as I could do with One Care also and get
reports on what it is doing and the status of my anti virus protection and so
on.. Does anyone have any advice on what program to go to if I choose not to
use Security Essentials on Vista HOme Premium. I have not updated to Windows 7
as of yet as I am still running Jaws 10 and at this time have not planned on
nor do I want to spend the money to upgrade to Jaws 11 just so Jaws will run
with Windows 7 as I have spent quite a lot lately on a new computer anyway..
Should I buy Norton or McAfee or do I have torun Security Essentials since I
know nothing about it, it is new and I am  not sure I even want to run it for a
virus program on my computer.. My cousin's husband is running Norton on his
computer and it is just like mine, he has Vista and think he has already
upgraded to Windows 7 though, Please advise.. Thanks, Pat Dallas