[accesscomp] Re: How can I remove system volume information folders from external hard drives

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:00:05 -0500

The recycled folder and system volume information are not programs.  They
are placed on the external drive because Windows is providing a folder for
storing material sent to the recycle Bin from the external drive when you
delete files from that drive.  . System volume information is a folder
which is used for System Restore points. System Restore will create
restore points for the external drive if the drive is connected when
System Restore creates restore points. In other words, if the external
drive is connected at that time, restoration information will be stored on
the c drive for that drive and on the external drive for that drive.

I believe the question of how to stop the recycle folder from accumulating
files has already been addressed.  I'm not sure how to turn off system
restore monitoring of an external drive.  Once monitoring is turned off
for that drive, you can remove the system volume information folder on
that drive.  .

the following applies to Windows XP.  Take a look at the options in this
dialog and see if anything applies.  I'm not sure if anything will.  I
haven't looked into this to any extent and the small amount of google
searches I've done has presented information which may be useful but which
seems far more geeky than may be necessary to solve the problem.  So look
around in the following manner.

Open the system dialog by opening control panel, finding system in the
list and pressing enter.
Wait briefly for the dialog to open.
Start right arrowing until you get to system restore.
Start tabbing through the dialog.
See if you find any fields which allow you to control whether system
restore monitors specific drives.  Don't turn off system restore.  The
point is to see if you can specifically tell system restore not to monitor
a specific drive such as your external drive.  Let us know if you find
anything useful.

Gene