[accesscomp] Re: G mail

  • From: "Wayne W Hinckley" <wwhinckley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:44:14 -0600

Hi Arlene,

Here is what I used last year to get my gmail account setup on Outlook Express.
 I think it is off the gmail web page.  Good luck!
~~

To enable IMAP in Gmail:

1. Sign in to Gmail.
2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4. Select Enable IMAP.
5. Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.
Note: At this time, it's not possible to enable IMAP while using the basic HTML
interface. Please use the standard view to see this option.

Then...

1. Enable IMAP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
2. Open Outlook Express.
3. Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts...
4. Click Add, and then click Mail...
5. Enter your name in the Display name: field, and click Next.
6. Enter your full email address (username@xxxxxxxxx) in the Email address:
field, and click Next. Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format
'username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
7. For My incoming mail server is a ______ server, please select IMAP in the
drop-down menu.
8. Enter 'imap.gmail.com' in the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:
field. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: field.
9. Click Next.
10. Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or
'@your_domain.com') in the Account name: field. Enter your password in the
Password: field, and click Next.
11. Click Finish.
12. Highlight imap.gmail.com under Account, and click Properties.
13. Click the Advanced tab.
14. Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires a
secure connection (SSL).
15. Enter '465' in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
16. Under Incoming mail (IMAP), check the box next to This server requires a
secure connection (SSL). The port will change to '993'.
17. Click the Servers tab, and check the box next to My server requires
authentication.
18. Click OK.
19. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as
needed.
Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail
messages.