[accesscomp] Re: Fw: yahoo is tracking you

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:14:49 -0500 (EST)

Reg

I know you believe you've stumbled upon some big news; but you haven't.
This is one of those old msgs that has been circulating for years upon
years and has been discussed to death on numerous high and low traffic
lists.
At this point let me say this:  you can easily opt out if it bothers you.
It is account and pc speciffic so you will have to opt out in each
instance; ie, you have 3 pcs and 2 Yahoo accounts, you need to opt 6 times
to be completely out.
Having said this, in at least a couple of instances, I hadn't opted out
with no dire consequences.  So if you are looking for some dire
consequences, look elsewhere as this is nothing other than a more or less
typical tracking cookie that is being employed on myriads of sites.
And if you are truly bothered by tracking, then become a hermit, stop
using any form of credit, get rid of using your Social Security or
driver's license number on anything, never ever use discount codes or
shopper saver cards, and all of the other instances of commerce in a
modern society.
Your phone calls are tracked by your phone carried be it mobile or
landline; you may have a time card at work; you may be attending Church
each week and having your name placed on an attendance registry; it is all
tracking and a lot of it actually benefits you.

Stewardship is what a man does after he says, "I believe."

W. H. Greaves