[accesscomp] Fw: yahoo is tracking you

  • From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 07:57:32 -0600

This was posted to our Real Eyes list and other places.  I see no reason to
not believe this information is real.  As for what to do about it, Not sure.
Doesn't this mean law enforcement could force Yahoo to tell them all the
sites your computer visits when you aren't on Yahoo just because you have an
account at Yahoo?  I'm sure there are other ramifications I can't even think
of.  Any software out there to stop web beacons and leave the less harmless
cookies alone?

Reg

Yahoo is Tracking Group Members If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware
that Yahoo is Now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's
Similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and Every group
you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
privacy statement at http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details

.HTML About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*,
You will see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*. Click on the phrase "Web
Beacons." On the page that opens, On the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out."
In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched Advertising" link that
will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the
opt-out button on the next page. Note that Yahoo's invasion of your
privacy - and your Ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is
MACHINE Specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and
browser) you use. Please forward this to your other groups. You might
Complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I Remember when they
signed all users up to get spam and we had to Opt out of that a few years
ago. Related article:
http://antivirus.about.com/do/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

Please pass this information to all of your groups...