[accesscomp] Fw: Walkman vs. I-Pod

  • From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Adaptive technology information and support." <ati@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:44:29 -0500

This is the funniest thing, and definitely worth reading the whole thing if
you need a quick laugh!

    Reg

I thought you all would find this funny.  it is from cnet.com:

This is just a quick pointer to a hilarious post I ran across this morning:
BBC Magazine invited 13-year-old Scott Campbell, to wear a vintage Sony
Walkman for a day. He took the challenge seriously, and wrote up his
impressions of the Walkman versus the modern equivalent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm
The iPod of its day
(Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sony_Walkman_WM-2.jpg

Some choice excerpts:
"It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the
tape."
"I managed to create an impromptu shuffle feature simply by holding down
'rewind' and releasing it randomly."
"I'm relieved that the majority of technological advancement happened before
I was born, as I can't imagine having to use such basic equipment every
day."
The only advantage Campbell found for the Walkman was the fact that it had
two headphone jacks, allowing listeners to share their favorite tunes with a
friend. He also noted that the battery life was terrible at about 3 hours,
but neglected to point out the (perhaps obvious) fact that at least the
Walkman lets you get to the batteries to replace them--you don't have to
send it back to the manufacturer or risk voiding your warranty. Another
point I'd make for Campbell or other intrepid explorers: some Walkmans had a
"reverse" switch on them that let you change to the other side of the
cassette--that could be another nifty way to create an equivalent to the
iPod's shuffle feature.
Now wait until he discovers Minidisc!

Kind regards,

Nicki Keck