[accesscomp] Fw: Understanding Text Messaging, Dan's tip for March 11 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:57:46 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 4:52 AM
Subject: Understanding Text Messaging, Dan's tip for March 11 2013

DY undRst& dis msg?

Article found at "180 tech tips"

http://www.180techtips.com/150.htm

Text versions of links and the link to  "Texting Abbreviations and acronyms.

" added in by Dan.

It's called "Texting" or "IMing" or more formally "SMS Language" and it refers
to the sometimes complex language of abbreviations and acronyms that teenagers
and others use to communicate via cell phone Text Messages and online Instant
Messages.

Here are some examples:

      lol
     =
     laughing out loud

     RUOK?
     =
     Are you OK?

      dis
     =
     this

     BRB
     =
     Be Right Back

      whr
     =
     where

     xlnt
     =
     excellent

      ASL?
     =
     age, sex, location

     gr8
     =
     great

      MOS
     =
     Mom Over Shoulder

     any1
     =
     Anyone

      5o
     =
     Police

     9
     =
     Someone's watching me

This is the language of chatrooms, cell phones, instant messaging and digitally
connected teenagers everywhere.  It's function is to minimize the number of key
strokes and punctuation needed to communicate a message.  It's officially
called Short Message Service or SMS Language and here's a link to more
information about it's development:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service

Wikipedia also has a pretty good list of these abbreviations:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_abbreviations

There's even some online translators that can help you communicate in this
language.  Try one of these translators:

transl8tit

http://transl8it.com/emoticons-smileys/

  lingo2word

http://www.lingo2word.com/translate.php

TxT Speak Translator

http://www.madhousebeyond.com/?mode=txtspeak

And for parents and educators who need help understanding this new language try
this website for help:

NoSlang.com
http://www.noslang.com/

The above translator Features a translator, dictionary, a great guide for
parents as well as many good links to more information.

So what does the title of this technology tip mean?

DY undRst& dis msg?
Do you understand this message?

Additionally here is a link with many Texting Abbreviations and acronyms.

http://www.researchmaniacs.com/TextLanguage/TextingAbbreviations.html

Finally, purely for entertainment purposes, you can try this translator which
takes English and translates it into "12-Year-Old-AOLer":

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html

Send messages to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Morning Prayer

God, let my thoughts be yours, my words be yours, and may I be a blessing to
someone today.

Frog:  Forever rely on God.