[accesscomp] Fw: StartPage Search Engine for protecting your privacy

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:06:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:03 PM
Subject: StartPage Search Engine for protecting your privacy

Use the Search Engine Called StartPage to Protect Your Privacy

Updated 16. July 2013 - 20:07 by v.laurie

Are you concerned about all the tracking of what we do on the internet? Would
you like to use Google search but don't want Google recording where you are and
what searches you make? Then give a try to the search engine "StartPage".

https://startpage.com/

StartPage is based in the Netherlands and says that they are not subject to
government xsnooping. According to their privacy statement, no records of user
data are kept. They do not know who you are. Your IP and geographical location
are not recorded. No tracking cookies are used. So they have no information to
give to anybody, even if they are asked.

StartPage actually uses Google for its searches but acts as an intermediary to
protect your privacy. When you search with StartPage, all identifying
information from your query is removed and it is submitted anonymously to
Google. StartPage then gets the results back and relays them to you.

Because there are extra steps and information has to go back and forth through
an intermediary, searching will be slower. I suspect StartPage is getting a lot
more traffic because of recent revelations about NSA. Page loading may be slow
but, if privacy is a concern for you, this is a search engine that is worth
looking at.

The link for StartPage search is here.

https://startpage.com/

Their privacy statement is at this link.

Note from Dan:

I did a few searches and found the site very accessible.

First I searched for  restaurants in Austin Texas since we are going there soon.

1.  When accessing the link below, the cursor is placed in to a search edit
field.

https://startpage.com/

2.  I typed in the following line without quotes and then pressed enter.

"restaurants in austin texas"

3.  If using a screenreader, you will hear "explorer views" when a search is
completed.

4.  Move to the top of this page by pressing control plus home key.

5.  Press the letter h to move through hits in the search results.

6.  Press enter on a hit of your choice.

Here sare a few of what I found.

Best Restaurants In Austin - austin360.com

www.austin360.com/

Sullivan's Steakhouse - Enjoy Our $39 Pre-Fixe Menu Today

www.sullivanssteakhouse.com/

Fogo de Chao Churrascaria - Fogo.com
www.fogo.com/

Experience an Authentic Brazilian Steakhouse. Enjoy 16 cuts of meat.

Best Austin restaurants | Urbanspoon

www.urbanspoon.com/lb/11/best-restaurants-Austin - View by Ixquick Proxy -
Highlight

Best Austin restaurants. ... Make reservations online at the best restaurants
in Austin. .... University of Texas - Southwestern, Tex-Mex, Mexican 409 W 30th
St. 20.

*II. Current assistive tech news search:

Here are the results and process I did for the second search.

1.  I  moved to the top of the page by pressing control plus home.  I did not
need to go back to the startpage home page. The reason I move to the top of the
page is because when pressing the letter f for "form", and not at the top, you
will get a prompt saying "there are no more form fields on this page."  This is
because the cursor has already passed where the form field is usually found.

2.  I pressed the letter f and was placed into an edit field with  the previous
search string still present.

3.  Press shift plus end followed by hitting the delet key.  This will erace
the text.

4.  Type in the string below without punctuation.

"current assistive tech news"

5.  Press enter.

6.  Press control plus the home key.

7.  Press the letter h to move through the resulting hits.

8.  When locating one of interest, press enter.

Inspirational thought and prayer for the week

Psalm 34:8
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in
him!

This week's Inspiring Thought as it relates to the above verse:

Taste and See God's Goodness

Coming from a large Italian family, I know the pleasure and satisfaction that
comes from tasting something good. David, the Psalmist, is sure that once we've
tasted the Lord's goodness, we will see and know just how abundantly blessed we
are.

I like the way Matthew Henry puts it in his commentary: "Let God's goodness be
rolled under the tongue as a sweet morsel." Once we've experienced the
Lord-tasting and delighting in his fullness-we realize nothing else can satisfy
our soul's desires.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, let your word be on my lips and in my heart that I may
walk in the freedom of your everlasting love, truth and goodness.  In Christ
Holy Name we pray, Amen!

To receive emails regarding Dan's daily Tips or the Daily HotSpot Devotional,
send an email to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with "subscribe Dan's Tips" or "subscribe
Hotspot Devotional" in the subjectline.

This email has been scanned by MSA