[accesscomp] Fw: Learning Your Way Around Linux made easier, Dan's Tip for April 3rd 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:05:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:46 AM
Subject: Learning Your Way Around Linux made easier, Dan's Tip for April 3rd
2013

Today's tip may seem foreign to those using Microsoft, or Apple Products  But I
have had several individuals ask me if I use Linux.  Personally, I do not use
this operating system but have several times told myself to check it out to
develop some knowledge of it.

Below is the introduction , link to the cheatsheet and the complet e sheet.

Introduction:  This Cheat Sheet Makes Learning Your Way Around Linux Easy

Alan Henry

  a.. View Profile
  b.. Email
  c.. Twitter
  d.. Google Plus
  e.. RSS
Whether you're experimenting with Linux or making the switch, you'll need to
get your bearings. This Linux cheat sheet runs you through common and helpful
commands you'll need to know as you get comfortable with the command line.

It doesn't matter if you're configuring your system's network information,
installing applications from packages, or compressing and packaging
directories, you'll need to be familiar with the terminal commands used for
those operations, especially if the GUI either isn't working the way you'd like
or you want a faster, more efficient way to get things done. Thankfully, this
cheat sheet has the commands to do all of those things and then some.

Granted, with many modern distributions you won't have much need for the
command line, but it's one of the most powerful tools available in the
operating system, so you may as well learn to use it if you don't already know
how. It's also worth noting that the Linux Cheat Sheet is aimed at new users to
help them get started, or as a reference for experienced users. If you're old
hat, you may not see much you don't already know. Either way, it's still worth
a look. Hit the link at Github below to check it out.

Linuxgems Cheat Sheet

https://github.com/WilliamHackmore/linuxgems/blob/master/cheat_sheet.org.sh

The complete sheet is below.

*complete sheet:

# cheat_sheet.org.sh# The contents of this file are released under the GNU
General Public License. Feel free to reuse the contents of this work, as long
as the resultant works give proper attribution and are made publicly available
under the GNU General Public License.# Best viewed in emacs org-mode.#
Alternately, one can keep this cheat sheet handy by adding the following line
to ~/.bashrc:## alias cheatsheet="less ~/path_to_cheat_sheet.org.sh"   *
Reference:** Basics:*** Getting help: # View the manual for target commandman
command # Get help with a target command (probably the same as above, but not
always):command -h # In case you forget the name of a command, print possible
commands relating to any given word:apropos word # View index of help
pages:info *** Command Line Utilities:**** Basic File and Directory
Operations:# Print current working directory:pwd # Show files in current
directory:ls # Show maximum information about all files, including hidden:ls -a
# Recurse into subdirectories and list those as well:ls -R # List files by
modification time, most recent first.ls -lt # Move/rename a file or directory
(be careful that you don't move the source over a destination with the same
name):mv source destination # Delete target forever (be very careful), use -r
recursive flag for directories:rm target # Copy file or directory:cp source
destination # Mount filesytem:mount /dev/device_name /media/device_name #
Unmount:umount /media/device_name # Forensically clone filesystems and do other
low-level operations on files. Be careful with this one. Can be destructive:dd
# Work with disk partitions:parted # Filesystem creation tool:mkfs **** System
Administration: # Execute command as an administrator (can be
destructive/insecure. Use only for system administration tasks):sudo command #
Become system administrator:sudo -s # Quit system administration:exit # Forgot
to type sudo in front of a command and already hit enter? Repeat the last
command using sudo:sudo !! ***** Installing software from a .tgz (also known as
a tarball): # First, unzip the tarball (see section on tar, below)# Next, move
into unzipped directory:cd software_directory # Always read README first if it
is provided, in case there are any modifications to the procedure outlined
below:cat README # Automatically check for appropriate configurations and
generate a MAKE file in the directory:./configure # Compile software. May
require sudo:make # Move files into their appropriate locations. May also
require sudo:make install # Clean up files in directory, in case make command
fails, or just to remove unnecessary cruft:make clean ***** Ubuntu/Debian
Software repositories: # Check distro repositories for software updates:sudo
apt-get update # Download and install updates (update first):sudo apt-get
upgrade # Search for package in the repositories:apt-cache search keyword # Get
more detail on one specific package:apt-cache show package_name # Download and
install a package:sudo apt-get install package_name # View the output of a
command in a more convenient format:command | less **** Working With Files: #
Print a file in terminal:cat file # Find files matching filename:locate
filename # See the version of a program or the location of the programwhich
appname # Search through filename for matches to phrase:grep phrase filename #
Search through output of a command for phrase:command | grep phrase ****
Working With Processes: # List all running processes:ps -e # Standard system
monitor showing a more extensive view of all processes and system resources:top
# Like top, but with a better, cleaner interface:htop # Stop a process from
using all system resources and lagging computer:renice process_name # Kill
misbehaving process (use sparingly, last resort, try 'renice' command
first):pkill process name # Start a process in the backgroundcommand & # Start
a process in the background and have it keep running after you log offnohup
command & **** Compression and Encryption: # Make a simple compressed backup of
files or directories:tar -cvzf backup_output.tgz target_files_or_directories #
Open a compressed .tgz or .tar.gz file:tar -xvf target.tgz # Encrypt a file:gpg
-o outputfilename.gpg -c target_file # Decrypt a file:gpg -o outputfilename -d
target.gpg # Zip and encrypt a directory simultaneously:gpg-zip -o
encrypted_filename.tgz.gpg -c -s file_to_be_encrypted *** The Bash shell:****
File Name expansions:# Current user's home directory:~/ # Current directory:./
# Parent directory:../ # Or even (Two parent directories down):../../ # All
files in target directory. (Be very careful.):/* **** Output Redirects: #
Redirect output of one command into the input of another with a pipe:command_1
| command_2 # Or even: command_1 | command_2 | command_3 # Redirect output to a
file:command > file # Or: file > file # Or even, to redirect in a different
direction:file < file # Append output rather than writing over the target file:
file_or_command >> file # Works like |, but it writes output to both target and
terminal:tee target # Redirect standard output and error to /dev/null, where it
is deleted.command > /dev/null 2>&1 **** Controlling Execution:# Wait until
command 1 is finished to execute command 2command_1 ; command_2 # Or
even:command_1 ; command_2 ; command_3 # && acts like ; but only executes
command_2 if command_1 indicates that it succeeded without error by returning
0.command_1 && command_2 # || acts like && but only executes command_2 if
command_1 indicates an error by returning 1.command_1 || command_2 **** Bash
Wildcards:# Zero or more characters:* # Matches "phrase" and any number of
trailing characters:phrase* # Matches any incidences of "phrase" with any
trailing or leading chars:*phrase* # Matches any one char:? # Matches any of
the characters listed inside brackets:[chars] # Matches a range of chars
between a-z:[a-z] ** Advanced:*** Command Line Utilities, Continued:****
Networking: # Configure network interfaces:ifconfig # Configure wireless
network interfaces:iwconfig # Connect to a remote server.ssh
username@ip_address # Forward X from target to current machine (Get a remote
desktop. Somewhat obscure, but very useful):ssh -X username@ip_address # Copy
files/directory over the network from one machine to another recursively:scp -r
source_filename:username@ip_address
target_filename:target_username@target_ip_address # Copy only changes between
files or directories (super efficient way to sync directories, works either
locally or with remote servers using username@ip_address:optionalport, just
like ssh):rsync source target # Check to see if target is online and
respondingping ip_address # View network route to target:traceroute6 ip_address
# Network Monitornetstat # View firewall rulesiptables -L # Scan this
machine(localhost) to check for open ports:nmap localhost ***** wget: #
download a file over http:wget http://example.com/folder/file  # complete a
partially downloaded file:wget -c http://example.com/folder/file # start
download in background:wget -b wget -c http://example.com/folder/file #
download a file from ftp server:wget --ftp-user=USER --ftp-password=PASS
ftp://example.com/folder/file ***** netcat: # Listen for input from network on
recieving_port, dump it to a file (insecure, but handy):netcat -l
recieving_port > file_copied # Pipe the output of a command to a target ip and
port over the network:command | netcat -w number_of_seconds_before_timeout
target_ip target_port # Use tar to compress and output a file as a stream, pipe
it to a target ip and port over the network:sudo tar -czf - filename | netcat
-w number_of_seconds_before_timeout target_ip target_port **** Users and
Groups:# Change owner of a file or directory:chown user_name:group_name
directory_name # Change privileges over file or directory (see man page for
details.)chmod # Create a new user:adduser # Change user privileges (be very
careful with this one):usermod # Delete userdeluser # Print groups:groups #
Create a new group:groupadd # Change group privileges:groupmod # Delete
group:delgroup # Temporarily become a different user:su username # Print
usernames of logged in users:users # Write one line to another user from your
terminal:talk # Interactive talk program to talk to other users from terminal
(must be installed from repositories.):ytalk **** Working With Files,
Continued:# View what processes are using what files:lsof # View the
differences between two files:diff file_1 file_2 # Output the top
number_of_lines of file:head -n number_of_lines file # Like head, but it
outputs the last -n lines:tail -n number_of_lines file # Checksum a file:md5sum
file # Checksum every file in a directory (install this one from
repositories.):md5deep directory # Checksum a file (better algorithm with no
hash collisions):sha1sum # Same operation as md5deep, but using sha1:sha1deep #
Call command every few number_of_seconds, and highlight difference in
output:watch -d -n number_of_seconds command # Execute command, print how long
it took:time command # View files in directory from largest to smallest:du -a
directory | sort -n -r | less # remove spaces from filenames in current
directory:rename -n 's/[\s]/''/g' * # change capitals to lowercase in filenames
in current directory:rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * ***** Environment and Hardware:#
print motherboard informationdmidecode # Print full date and time:date # Print
the hostname of this machine:echo $HOSTNAME # Print information about current
linux distro:lsb_release -a # Or even: more /etc/issue # Print linux kernel
version:uname -a # Print information about kernel modules:lsmod # Configure
kernel modules (never do this ;p ):modprobe # View Installed packages:dpkg
--get-selections # Print environment variables:printenv  # List hardware
connected via PCI ports:lspci # List hardware connected via USB ports:lsusb #
Print hardware info stored in BIOS:sudo dmidecode # Dump captured data off of
wireless card:dumpcap # Dump info about keyboard drivers:dumpkeys ***** Ubuntu
System Administration, Advanced (Continued): # Add a Personal Package Archive
from Ubuntu Launchpad:add-apt-repository # Install a .deb file from command
line:sudo dpkg -i package.deb **** Python: # Update pip (Python package
manager):pip install -U pip # search pip repos for a library:pip search
library_name # create a virtual python environment to allow install of many
different versions of the same Python modules:virtualenv dirname
--no-site-packages # connect to a virtual python environmentsource
dirname/bin/activate # disconnect from a virtual python environment:deactivate
# install package into virtual python environment from outside:pip install
packagename==version_number -E dirname # export python virtual environment into
a shareable format:pip freeze -E dirname > requirements.txt # import python
virtual environment from a requirements.txt file:pip install -E dirname -r
requirements.txt **** git (all commands must be performed in the same directory
as .git folder): # Start a new git project:git init git config user.name
"user_name" git config user.email "email" # Make a copy of a git (target can be
specified either locally or remotely, via any number of protocols):git clone
target # Commit changes to a git:git commit -m "message" # Get info on current
repository:git status # Show change log for current repository:git log # Update
git directory from another repository:git pull [target] # Push branch to other
repository:git push [target] # Create a new branch:git branch [branchname] #
Switch to target branch:git checkout [branchname] # Delete a branch:git branch
-d [branchname] # Merge two branches:git merge [branchname] [branchname] # Show
all branches of a project:git branch *** Virtualization: #clone a virtual
machine (this works, it's been tested):vboxmanage clonehd
virtual_machine_name.vdi --format VDI ~/target_virtual_machine_name.vdi #mount
a shared virtual folder:#you need to make sure you have the right kernel
modules. You can do this with modprobe, but this package works instead in a
ubuntu-specific way. sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-guest-utils sudo mount
-t vboxsf name_of_shared_folder_specified_in_Virtualbox path_of_mountpoint ***
mysql: # Get help:help # Show databases:show databases; # Choose a database to
use:use database_name_here; # Show database schema:show tables; # Delete
database:DROP DATABASE databasename; # New database:CREATE DATABASE
databasename; # Create a new user:CREATE USER username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
'password'; # Show users:select * from mysql.user; # Delete a user:delete from
mysql.user WHERE User='user_name'; # Give user access to all tables (make them
root). the "%" means that they can sign in remotely, from any machine, not just
localhost.:grant all privileges on *.* to someusr@"%" identified by 'password';
# give certain privileges to a user on a certain database:grant
select,insert,update,delete,create,drop on somedb.* to someusr@"%" identified
by 'password'; # Tell mysql to use new user priv policies:flush privileges; #
change user password:use mysql; update user set
password='password'('newpassword') where User='user_name'; # mysql command line
args:# export text file with commands to rebuild all mysql tables:mysqldump
databasename > dumpfilename.txt # restore from a dump:mysql -u username -p <
dumpfilename.txt # dump entire database:mysqldump -u username -p --opt
databasename > dumpfile.sql # restore from entire database dump:mysql -u
username -p --database=databasename < dumpfile.sql

Jump to Line

Jump to Line

Go

subscribe in the subject.

"Lord Jesus Christ, open the eyes of my heart to recognize your presence with
me and to understand the truth of your saving word. Nourish me with your
life-giving word and with the bread of life."

Psalm 105: 1-9

1 O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name, make known his deeds among the
peoples!
2 Sing to him, sing praises to him, tell of all his wonderful works!
3 Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!
4 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his presence continually!
5 Remember the wonderful works that he has done, his miracles, and the
judgments he uttered,
6 O offspring of Abraham his servant, sons of Jacob, his chosen ones!
7 He is the LORD our God; his judgments are in all the earth.
8 He is mindful of his covenant for ever, of the word that he commanded, for a
thousand generations,
9 the covenant which he made with Abraham, his sworn promise to Isaac

This message has been scanned by Microsoft Security Essentials

JPEG image

GIF image