[accesscomp] Re: Fw: Internet Explorer 8 is officially released today

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:20:38 -0600

I doubt there is any reason IE8 won't work. Browsers don't take much computer power to begin with and it is so unlikely that Microsoft has enhanced to any extent, if at all, the amount of computer power needed to run a browser that it's not worth worrying about. In addition, depending on the kind of computer you have, a five year old computer will likely have more than enough power to meet the typical user's needs well today if you continue to run XP. You might be able to run Windows 7 on it when it comes out as well. You probably shouldn't run Vista on it.

Here are the main points to consider:
are there any new features or improvements you care about in the new browser? If so, fine. If not, is there any point in bothering to upgrade, at least now? Just because something new comes out regarding any program you have does not automatically mean that an update is necessary or matters. Also, what version of what screen-reader are you using? IE8 is not supported by any screen-reader yet. I've seen generally favorable comments about how current or almost current versions of one or two screen-readers work with IE8 but if you are upgrading your screen-reader yearly, it might make more sense to wait for the new version of your screen-reader before upgrading the browser.

Gene
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>