[accesscomp] Re: Fw: How to Manage Internet Explorer Favorites the Easy Way, Dan's tip for november 11 2013

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:26:48 -0600

I haven't used organize favorites to move them from one folder to another.
 I don't know if it is a pain to use for that purpose.  But the person
writing this article either appears not to be aware or doesn't use a
valuable feature of the organize favorites dialog.  When you select a
favorite in the organize favorites dialog, you can change where it appears
in the display of favorites in Internet Explorer.  that is, you can change
it's order.  If I want to be able to open favorites and type n one time to
move to The New York times Favorite, I can do so.  Let's say it's
currently the sixth item in the list of n favorites so I have to press n
six times.  In Organize favorites, move to The New York Times favorite in
the list.  Then use the command alt up arrow to move the favorite up the
list.  Alt down arrow moves items farther down the list.  Keep issuing the
command until you have moved the favorite near the top of the list.  You
can use read current line to hear the number it is in the list after you
move it.  You can check to see if it is the first n item in the list by
pressing home, then typing n one or more times until you get to The New
York Times favorite.  You can't move items in this way when working
directly withfavorite files as described in this favorites article.  I
never bother cleaning out favorites.  They take almost no space and since
I can organize favorites in the order I want them, it doesn't matter how
many favorites are in the list.  I organize those I use regularly to be
conveniently reached by moving them where I want them to be in the list.
Thus, for example, The New York Times is the first n item in my list.
News Line is the second.

As I asked before, how do you contact Dan Thompson directly.  I see no
contact information in these tips nor have I found any elsewhere.  Dan
should have knowledgeable people review tips he is going to publish before
he does so.

Gene