[accesscomp] Fw: How to Fix a Computer that Keeps Waking Up and the daily tech term

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:19:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:14 AM
Subject: How to Fix a Computer that Keeps Waking Up and the daily tech term

I am going to try having a daily tech term along with the tips from now on.
Have a great day!!

DAILY TECH TERM

Application Programming Interface (API)

Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) are sets of functions or routines
that specify how software components should interact with each other. The APIs
are, to the end user, entirely invisible and function behind the scenes,
handling such tasks as process thread management, error handling, rendering
output for graphic user interfaces (GUIs) and other core functions that are
part of the computing experience.

How to Fix a Computer that Keeps Waking Up

Updated 11. August 2013 - 19:00 by  v.laurie

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-computer-keeps-waking.htm

Not too long ago I bought a new desktop PC. Whenever I put it to sleep, in no
time flat it was awake again. A little research revealed that this is not an
uncommon problem and can have several possible sources. Malware infections are
sometimes the cause but more often it is some device that is waking the machine
up and that was the case for me. In this tip, I will describe several settings
in your system that may keep waking up your PC. The discussion is for Windows
Vista/7. You will generally need administrator privileges to make system
changes.

*Step 1) Stop the mouse from waking up the PC
Mice, especially, wireless mice, can sometimes wake the PC up. In fact, there
is a specific setting to allow this. If the mouse turns out to be a problem,
you can change the setting with this procedure:

1.    Open the Start menu and type "mouse" (without quotes) in the Search bar

2.    Under the Control Panel list, click "Mouse" (or just press Enter in Vista)

3.    In the dialog box that opens, select the tab "Hardware"

4.    Highlight the entry for your mouse and click the button "Properties"

5.    A new dialog will open. Click the button "Change settings"

6.    In the new dialog that opens, click the tab "Power Management"

7.    Remove the check by "Allow this device to wake the computer"

8.    Click "OK" and close the dialogs.

*Step 2)Stop a network card from waking up the PC
From what I read, a network card is the most common source of wake-up problems
and that was the cause of my own computer never staying asleep. Here is how to
configure a network card:

1.    Open Device Manager. There are many ways to do this but a quick way is to
enter "dev" (without quotes) in the Start search bar and click "Device Manager"

2.    Arrow down to "network adapters" and Expand the list by pressing the
right arrow.

3.       There may be several adapters, one for Ethernet, one for wireless, and
others like Bluetooth.

Keyboard users,

aArrow .  down to the adapter to be configured.

b. Tab to properties and press the  spacebar.

If using a mouse,

a.  Right-click the adapter to be configured

b.  choose "Properties".

4.  In the dialog that opens, shift-Tab to Power Management" or click this tab
sheet.

5.  Remove the check by "Allow this device to wake the computer"  A simple way
to do this is to press the spacebar.  This toggles a checkbox on/off.

6.  From the keyboard, tab to "okay" and press the  spacebar.  Then close out
of device manager.

Mouse users, Click "OK" and close up Device Manager

*Step 3)Scheduled tasks , updates, and other causes

Sometimes a task or Windows Update is scheduled for a specific time and will
wake up the computer. Dealing with these and other possibilities are discussed
at this link.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

*Step 4) Use the command line to find what causes the PC to wake up

a.  One way to find out what is causing a wake-up problem is provided by the
command line. Open a command prompt and enter this command:

    powercfg -lastwake

The last device that woke up the system will be shown

b.  To find out which devices are enabled to wake up the PC, enter this command

    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Verse and inspirational thought for the week

Hope Like an Ancchor

Hebrews 6:19-20
We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters
into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner
on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of
Melchizedek. (ESV)

In the song, "The Anchor Holds" by Lawrence Chewning and Ray Boltz, the life of
faith is compared to a long night's journey on a rough, raging sea. Though our
ship is tossed and battered, and the sails are torn, there is an anchor which
holds us through the storm.

This verse reminds us, too, that the anchor of our soul is sure and steadfast.
Our anchor, our hope, is Jesus Christ. He holds us steady through the long,
dark night. For our high priest, King Jesus, has gone before us and he shall
forever remain. He is eternal, solid, everlasting. He is our rock.

To receive emails regarding Dan's daily Tips or the Daily HotSpot Devotional,
send an email to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with "subscribe Dan's Tips" or "subscribe
Hotspot Devotional" in the subjectline.

This email has been scanned by MSA