[accesscomp] Fw: Dan's tip for February 8 2013 (Windows Tips Galore)

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:48:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 7:56 AM
Subject: Dan's tip for February 8 2013 (Windows Tips Galore)

Windows Tips Galore
Active Windows offers a first rate combination of tips and tutorials along with
some useful reviews. The PCStats site features an excellent collection of
Windows tips taken from the PCStats forums. I particularly liked the registry
patch for removing those annoying entries in the "Add/Remove programs" menu
that hang around long after the program has been uninstalled.
http://www.activewin.com
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1190&page=3

Tweaks for XP Freaks
We've mentioned this excellent collection of free Windows XP registry tweaks
before but on a recent visit I noticed that it's now bigger and better than
ever. Each tweak can be downloaded as a .reg file to save you the task of
editing your registry.

Windows XP Tips from Microsoft
Dozens of XP Pro tips including a sneaky way to bulk rename files. I didn't
know you could do that in Windows. Guess you learn something every day.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/default.asp

How Fast do you Really Surf?
The high data rate you get when downloading a big file is not a reliable
measure of how quickly you can surf. This site offers a free test that measures
your connection speed to 40 different sites worldwide. Be prepared to have your
ego deflated ;>)
http://www.numion.com/

Mysterious Startup Programs Explained
If you've ever looked at your Windows startup folder you're bound to find a
number of odd-named executables. Check out exactly what each program does at
this valuable resource site:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html

Find Email Addresses
If you are looking for someone's email address, the bad news is there's no
central directory. However this site offers a meta search engine that will
search many possible sources. Quite to my surprise, I found my own personal
email address.
http://mesa.rrzn.uni-hannover.de/

Commercial Software for Free
Many commercial software products started life as freeware. You can still
locate many of these original free versions at the Internet Archive, which has
captured snapshots of the web at different points of time for research
purposes. Just enter the software vendor's web site address and with a bit of
luck, you may be able to locate and download a free version.
http://www.archive.org/

Organize Your Partitions Correctly
What's the best way to organize the partitions on your hard disk? Now that's a
question that would take a long dinner and two bottles of red wine to sort out.
For those who don't like wine or simply want a quick introduction to the
issues, check out the following article.
http://aumha.org/win4/a/parts.htm

Optimizing the Windows XP Paging File
This is one of the best articles I've yet seen on this subject. It dispels many
myths including setting the max and min sizes the same and setting the maximum
size at 2.5 times the memory size.
http://aumha.org/a/xpvm.htm

XP Questions Answered
This site offers an excellent collection of Windows XP tips including answers
to some of the most common only encountered problems.
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/all-tips.html

How to Make Windows XP Run Faster
This site lists a step-by-step procedure for optimizing the performance of
Windows XP. Most of it is good advice but comes at a cost in the form of
slightly downgraded appearance and the loss of little-used features and
services.
http://www.techreviewer.com/viewpage.cfm/pi/9

Impressive Windows Tips and Tricks Site
More performance enhancing and behavior modification tweaks than you ever
imagined.
http://www.mdgx.com

More Networking Help
A couple of issues back I mentioned the excellent wireless networking resources
offered by the Practically Networked site. This prompted subscriber Richard
Cowper to write in about the Home Net Help site. Nice find Richard. The
coverage is wider than just wireless networking too. Well worth visiting.
http://www.homenethelp.com/

Windows XP Tips Galore
The first link is to a site offering a nice list of 101 tips covering ways you
can improve performance, increase privacy and more. The second link is another
site which, rather cleverly, lists its tips in popularity order. Backing
up/restoring/disabling XP activation topped the popularity list.
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/index.shtml

Windows XP Myths Exposed
This is a well researched list that debunks dozens of commonly held Windows
beliefs such as "Periodically cleaning the pre- fetch folder speeds up boot
time." While visiting, check out other sections of the site; they are first
class.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Send messages to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Morning Prayer

God, let my thoughts be yours, my words be yours, and may I be a blessing to
someone today.

Frog:  Forever rely on God.