[accesscomp] Fw: Dan's tip for February 27 2013, (The Bogus InternetToday's technology tip is just a reminder that )

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:53:41 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:45 AM
Subject: Dan's tip for February 27 2013, (The Bogus InternetToday's technology
tip is just a reminder that )

The Bogus InternetToday's technology tip is just a reminder that
not everything you see on the internet is real.

180 Tech Tips

http://www.180techtips.com/124.htm

Below this tip is a link to  "Five Factors for Evaluating Websites." This will
hopefully help when  browsing the web for valid research in the future.

Take a look a these websites:

New bio-hazard alert device ready
http://www.mcwhortle.com/

The Museum of Jurassic Technology
http://www.mjt.org/

Buy Dehydrated Water Online
http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

Important site for Dihydrogen Monoxide Research:
http://www.dhmo.org/

Velcro crop failures in California:
http://www.umbachconsulting.com/miscellany/velcro.html

Research into a nagging historical question:  http://www.ovaprima.org/index.htm

The Endangered Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Free Phone Calls Through the Internet
http://www.funphone.com/old/

Hopefully you noticed that every one of these websites is completely bogus,
especially that last one.  They may look real, and they may seem to have some
compelling information, but they are all bogus.  Here's a list of even more
bogus sites from the Department of Education and Training in Western Australia:
http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/cmis/eval/curriculum/ict/webeval/eval12.htm

As you might imagine, students might not be as critical of information found on
the internet as adults might be.  Some advice:  check your sources, confirm
everything and look for more than one source before believing anything on the
internet.

5 Factors for Evaluating Websites

http://www.slideshare.net/betchaboy/5-factors-for-evaluating-websites

Send messages to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Morning Prayer

God, let my thoughts be yours, my words be yours, and may I be a blessing to
someone today.

Frog:  Forever rely on God.