[accesscomp] Fw: Dan's tip for Feb. 19 2013, (Mega Byte This )

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:57:45 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:30 AM
Subject: Dan's tip for Feb. 19 2013, (Mega Byte This )

Mega Byte This

When you work with computers you see KB (or KiloBytes) and MB (or MegaBytes)
all the time but what does it stand for? Basically it's a measurement of memory
on a computer. To help you understand exactly what in means there is an example
below.

So What's a Byte anyway?

When you get right down to it computers only know two things off and on.
That's it just OFF and ON. And a computer expresses OFF as a "0" and ON as a
"1". Everything you see on the screen right now is just a specifically ordered
combination of 1's and 0's to the computer that tell it exactly how to display
this webpage. Now here's the confusing part. Each individual 1 or 0 is called a
BIT and 8 BITS together is called a BYTE. When you type a 0 the computer
actually recognizes that zero as the series of 8 BITS or "00000000"

Here are some examples of what some other numbers and letters look like to the
computer:

      0 = 00000000
     a = 01100001
     L = 01001100

      1 = 00000001
     v = 01110110
     p = 01110000

      2 = 00000010
     $ = 00100100
     z = 01111010

Here's a link to even more if you're curious:
http://www.micron.com/k12/lessonplans/zerosones/asciibinary.html

So, in really super simplified terms, when I type the letter "L" the computer
translates that to be the BYTE "01001100."  If I typed the letter "L" 50 times
that would be 50 BYTES of information. If I typed the letter "L" 1000 times
that would be 1000 BYTES or 1 KiloByte or 1KB.  Actually Bytes are measured in
powers of 2 so 1KB isn't exactly 1000 bytes, but it is close enough.  Below is
a chart of common abbreviations and their actual values in bytes:

      Name
     Abbreviation
     Actual Size in Bytes

      KiloBytes
     KB
     1024

      MegaBytes
     MB
     1,048,576

      GigaBytes
     GB
     1,073,741,824

To learn more about these bytes and their abbreviations try this site:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes1.htm

And here's some even more specific information about how bytes and mega bytes
are measured:  http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

Send messages to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Morning Prayer

God, let my thoughts be yours, my words be yours, and may I be a blessing to
someone today.

Frog:  Forever rely on God.