[accesscomp] Fw: Book sites for Friday May 17 2013, Dan's Tip for May 17

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:41:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 8:26 AM
Subject: Book sites for Friday May 17 2013, Dan's Tip for May 17

Today I have a few cool book sites that which may sound interesting to a wide
range of readers that can be downloaded or viewed online free.

I personally have brailled severalof the stories shown here and others to share
with my grand-children as well share with others.  Sometimes waiting for
children's twin vision books from NLS takes quite awhile.  This is not meant to
critize the staff at NLS.  I know they are probably very overy busy!

I have also found some educational materials in other sites to come that has
proved helpful to copy/pste. It is a bit of extra work but well worth the extra
effort.

*I.   AlvieTheLittleBrownBurro:

this first site    has seven Alvie stories to read online or download in MP3,.
One could copy/paste the online version or use the mp3 file as bedtime stories.

1.  Visit the site below.

http://www.alvietheburro.com/index.html

2.     The first link is to "entire collection"

http://www.alvietheburro.com/alviepage2.html

when pressing enter on the link or clicking on it, from the homepage,  one is
taken to the same page shown above.

Where  there are seven links to mp3 versions of each book read by the author,
(Barbara M. Nelson.)
When entering each story's link shown below, there is a sound link for
listening.  Just below that link is text of the story and questions. So if one
wanted to copy/paste for later viewing or rereading in the future it can be
done.

3. the seven titles are:
·         Alvie Finds a Home - in the very first story about Alvie, you will
learn how Alvie arrived at his new home.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/alviefirststory.html

·

·         Alvie Gets His Name - the little brown burro gets a new name with an
important meaning.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/alvienamestory.html

·

·         Alvie's First Halloween - Alvie has an encounter with bullies and
finds a unique solution to his problem.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/haloweenstory.html

·

·         Alvie's First Christmas - Alvie gets a Christmas gift from his
parents.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/firstxmasstory.html

·

·         Alvie and the Snow - Alvie has a fun adventure in the snow with his
Mommie.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/alvieandsnowstory.html

·

·         Alvie's First Valentine's Day - Alvie and Mommie get a big surprise
for Valentine's Day.

·         http://www.alvietheburro.com/valentinestory.html

·

·         Alvie Makes a new Friend - Alvie meets someone who can't run and play
like others.

http://www.alvietheburro.com/skystory.html

4. Below is how to download the sound file. I made a folder called  "Alvie"
where all the seven stories were downloaded.
a.  From the home page of
 http://www.alvietheburro.com/index.html

Locate the link entitled as

entire collection and press enter or click on it.

Here is the link in cse you just wish to copy/paste in the link into your
browser.

http://www.alvietheburro.com/alviepage2.html

b.  Move down to the first story link  called "Alvie Finds a Home"

c.  Press enter or click on this link.

d.  Navigate down to the link entitled as

Click for sound (3.39 MB)

e.  If using a mouse, click your right mouse button.

If using the keyboard, press the application key or shift plus f10.

f. Arrow down to "save target as" and press enter.

If using amouse click on "save target as."

g. Navigate to where you would like this file to be saved.

In windows-xp, o9ne can press alt plus I for save in.

In windows-7, one needs to shift tab (in most cases) twice to the current
location where the file would be saved.  If you wish somewhere else, backspace
until reaching your desired location.

h.  Press alt plus s and in a few seconds the file is saved.

i. Backspace once out of this story and move down to the next one.  Then
repeate steps B through H  shown above.

5.  One could also copy/paste in the text into a folder of their choice.

a.  When at a specific storie's page, move down to the first line of the
story's title.

b. Press the home key.

c.  Hold down the left shift and arrow down to the end of the story.

d.  Press control plus the letter c for copy to clipboard.

e.  Open your favorite wordprocessor.

f.  In a blank file, press control plus the letter v.

g.  Save this document in the desired folder.  Then you will have a nice
collection  for your child or grand-child to share.

*II.     AmericanFolklore

http://www.americanfolklore.net/index.html

  offers many folk stories from USA, Canada and Mexico as well as Native
American for online viewing.

While these say online viewing, one can copy/paste into their wordprocessor for
rereading etc.

1. Near the very top of the homepage is an index link.

American Folklore Story Index

http://www.americanfolklore.net/sindex.html

The rest of this document is a listing of links on this page.  I have visited
each one and found them to be very easily navigated.  I have included the text
version of each link below.

·         Tal Tales:

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/tall-tales/

Myths and Legends:

http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/myths-legends/

Ghost Stories:

http://www.americanfolklore.net/spooky-stories.html

Urban Legends at Americanfolklore.net

http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/urban-legends/

Folk Tales:

http://www.americanfolklore.net/sindex.html

·         Fables & Fairy Tales

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/fables-fairy-tales/

·

·         Funny Ghost Stories

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/funny-ghost-stories/

·         Ghost Stories A-Z

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/ghost-stories/

·         Halloween Stories

·         http://americanfolklore.net/halloween.html

·         Horror Stories

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/horror-stories/

·         Scary Stories

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/scary-stories/

·         Videos & Podcasts

·         http://www.americanfolklore.net/spooky-podcasts.html

·         Supernatural Stories

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/supernatural-stories/

Brer Rabbit

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/brer-rabbit/

·         Heroes

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/heroes-champions/

·         Jersey Devil

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/jersey-devil/

·         Paul Bunyan

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/paul-bunyan/

·         Pecos Bill

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/pecos-bill/

·         Pirates

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/pirate-stories/

·         Villains

·         http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/outlaws-villains/

·         Below are some other links available on the page. However,I did not
visit all of them. I just put a wide variety as shown below.  All are accessed
in the same manner and are very accessible.

·
Ethnic Folklore

·         African-American

·         Asian-American

·         European-American

·         Latin American

·         Native American

States & Regions

·         Canadian Folklore

·         Mexican Folklore

·         U.S. Folklore

Stories

·         Animal Stories

·         Campfire Stories

·         Children's Stories

·         Family Stories

·         Funny Stories

·         Holiday Stories

·         Railroad Stories

Word Play

·         Jokes & Riddles

·         Tongue Twisters

2.

"Heavenly Father, have mercy on all your people and heal the divisions in the
body of Christ. May all Christian people throughout the world attain the unity
for which Jesus prayed on the eve of his sacrifice. Renew in us the power of
the Spirit that we may be a sign of that unity and a means of its growth.
Increase in us a fervent love for all our brothers and sisters in Jesus
Christ."

Psalm 16:1-2,5-9,11

1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."
5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; yes, I have a goodly
heritage.
7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs
me.
8 I keep the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not
be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure.
11 You show me the path of life; in your presence there is fulness of joy, in
your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.

This email has been scanned by Microsoft Security Essentials