[accesscomp] Fw: BlindBargains.com Daily Deals for Thursday, March 24

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:52:32 -0700

    BlindBargains.com Daily Deals for Thursday, March 24

It's time to recap the latest deals and news posted to Blind Bargains. Feel
free to forward this message to your friends.

Got a suggestion, comment, or bargain request? Email bargains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In this issue:

  a.. 1. Call for Ideas for the Next Big Mobile App or Website
  b.. 2. #csun11 Audio: Internet Radio on a Plextalk Pocket
  c.. 3. #csun11 Audio: Demoing the RFB&D iPhone App
  d.. 4. #csun11 Audio: Ambutech's Vibrating Glasses
  e.. 5. #csun11 Audio: The Accessible Blio Reader
  f.. 6. #csun11 Audio: A CCTV and OCR in One
  g.. 7. #csun11 Audio: LookTel Taking the World by Storm
  h.. 8. #csun11 Audio: Hands On with Talking PC Maps
  i.. 9. #csun11 Audio: APH Rebirths Wayfinder Access as AviNav
  j.. 10. HoverCam T5V Document Camera with Accessories for the Visually
Impaired for $319
  k.. 11. CAN - DO 6 Line Pocket Slate for $4
  l.. 12. 7-128 Software Irish-themed March Game of the Month
  m.. 13. Triple-Talk PCI Speech Synthesizer at $30 on eBay
  n.. 14. Hamburger Mini Rechargeable Speaker for $3.99
  o.. 15. Most Popular Recent DealsBlind Individuals With Recurrent Sleep
Problems Needed for Research Study.
  Individuals who are totally blind with recurrent sleep or napping problems
are needed for a survey and/or clinical study. For each completed survey, a
donation of $25 will be made to organizations that support people with
blindness. Participants in a clinical study will be compensated for their time
and effort and will receive study medication, study-related medical evaluation
and transportation at no cost. Sleep problems and napping occur in some
individuals who are totally blind. This can be caused by the lack of light
needed to reset the "body clock". The result is recurrent sleep problems
similar to jet lag.
  Individuals may qualify for the survey or the clinical study if they:
  . are between 18 and 75 years of age. are totally blind
  . have recurrent trouble sleeping at night or experience daytime sleepiness
or napping

  If you are interested Call toll free 1-888-389-7033 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
M-F ET or email info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  1. Call for Ideas for the Next Big Mobile App or Website
  This weekend, dozens of programmers, marketers, technical professionals, and
entrepreneurs will converge on the campus of Western Michigan University in the
quest for the next big idea. Startup Weekends are a growing trend across the
country and foster the development of mobile and web-based applications.
Participants arrive at the weekend with a pitch for the next big thing, and
participants vote on the best ideas and begin developing them over the rest of
the weekend. So, if you could attend one of these weekends, what would be your
big idea? Here's some guidelines. The project should be relatively cheap to
develop, so software and websites work best. The idea should ideally have
mainstream appeal outside the blind community and have a profitable business
model. Legally speaking, by posting your idea here, we reserve the right to use
or benefit from it as we see fit. So, what should we pitch? An OCR app? A new
form of GPS? Something completely different? Let us know in the comments.
Startup Weekends are happening across the country, and a quick web search will
likely turn up locations near you.

  2. #csun11 Audio: Internet Radio on a Plextalk Pocket
  Version 5 of the Plextalk Pocket is a free update which now includes support
for Internet radio, podcasts, and new file formats. We speak with Plextor's
Chief Engineer, Tatsu Nishizawa, to learn about the latest capabilities of the
device and try out the Internet radio support in this audio interview.

  3. #csun11 Audio: Demoing the RFB&D iPhone App
  There's been a lot of talk about the new iPhone app for listening to books
from Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic so we figured we would stop by and
receive a demonstration. We speak with Margaret Tennant, Western Regional
Director of Programs and Services and Peter Beran, Cheif Technology Officer who
shows us the product and also mentions a forthcoming demo version of the app in
this audio interview.

  4. #csun11 Audio: Ambutech's Vibrating Glasses
  One of the popular mobility aids at CSUN was a new set of vibratory glasses
from Ambutech, known primarily for their canes. VP of Sales and Marketing
Gordon Hudek explains more while we try out a pair in this podcast.

  5. #csun11 Audio: The Accessible Blio Reader
  Blio, the much talked about eBook platform and software package, is now
available in an accessible form and more improvements are planned for the near
future. In this podcast, we speak with James Gashel, Vice President for
Business Development at KNFB Reading Technology, to learn about the latest
progress with Blio and his thoughts on the future of the electronic book
industry.

  6. #csun11 Audio: A CCTV and OCR in One
  It hasn't taken long for GW Micro to find a new product to restart their
hardware division, and this time it's of potential benefit to low vision users.
Director of Training Jeremy Curry gives us a demo of a new line of combination
CCTV/OCR products including the Orabis and Vocatex in this audio interview.

  7. #csun11 Audio: LookTel Taking the World by Storm
  The LookTel Money Reader has quickly become a popular identification app for
iOS devices. Jeremi Sudol, cofounder of LookTel, gives us a demonstration of
the app and tells us about his vision for the company in this podcast.

  8. #csun11 Audio: Hands On with Talking PC Maps
  APH has funded some major enhancements to the Sendero Maps product and has
now released Talking PC Maps, of special interest to mobility instructors and
others in education. To learn more, we speak with Terrie Terlau, Produc
Development Project Leader for Adult Life for the American Printing House for
the Blind, who gives us an in-depth demonstration of the product in this audio
interview.

  9. #csun11 Audio: APH Rebirths Wayfinder Access as AviNav
  We were first to report about AviNav, a forthcoming GPS program from the
American Printing House for the Blind. Now, with the development of the Orion,
or the new version of the Braille Plus as APH is calling it, the future of
Wayfinder is becoming much cleared as the code is destined for the Android
operating system. Larry Skutchan, Technology Project Leader for the American
Printing House for the Blind, explains how all of these pieces will be
connected into a new all-in-one device for the blind and visually impaired in
this podcast.

  10. HoverCam T5V Document Camera with Accessories for the Visually Impaired
for $319
  Touchboards.com has the HoverCam T5-V Scanner and Document Camera with
accessories for the visually impaired for $319. With about $17 for shipping,
it's the cheapest price we could find for this camera. In additional to the
portable, folding camera, a special tactile mat, anchoring bumper, and carrying
case are included. It's compatible with Serotek's DocuScan Plus OCR software
which is available for Windows and Mac computers as well as mainstream software
such as OmniPage.

  11. CAN - DO 6 Line Pocket Slate for $4
  The Independent Living Aids online store has the CAN - DO 6 Line Pocket Slate
for $4. Add about $5 for shipping. This 6-line aluminum slate includes 19 cells
per line with the pins on top. No end date is given.

  12. 7-128 Software Irish-themed March Game of the Month
  This month we have another big Blind Bargain. Blind Bargains is continuing
its partnership with 7-128 Software, featuring a new coupon for accessible game
discounts each month.// All 7-128 Software Blind Bargains games work with JAWS
and self-voice using SAPI. Not only that, but when you install your Blind
Bargain game, it automatically upgrades any previously installed 7-128 Software
GameBook or game to use your SAPI voices. For free!// Through April 15th, Blind
Bargains gives you 20% off the GameBook, Perceptions Edition, which includes 5
games: the detective game Inspector Cyndi in Newport - Death Nell, the memory
game Kim's Game, and 3 word games: The Definition Game, Completion, and
Crambles. Retail is $25, but with the Blind Bargains Coupon, you pay $20.//
This month's separate game is Inspector Cyndi in Newport - When Irish Spies are
Smiling . Retail is $10. With the Blind Bargains Coupon, you pay $8// The games
are compatible with Windows PCs, including Windows 7.// 7-128 Software games
can be played outside of the GameBook. Therefore the GameBook is not required
before purchasing additional titles. However, it is still a bargain, and a
convenient way to organize your games. Use coupon **BB1916* to get the deals,
and check back next month for a new selection. Coupon expires on April 15.

  13. Triple-Talk PCI Speech Synthesizer at $30 on eBay
  An eBay seller and Blind Bargains reader has posted a Triple-Talk PCI Speech
Synthesizer card on eBay with an opening bid of $30. With about $8 for
shipping, it's one of the few such deals we've seen for this card, which is
compatible with virtually all 32-bit versions of Windows. Auction ends March 30.

  14. Hamburger Mini Rechargeable Speaker for $3.99
  Lower Price USA via Amazon.com has the infamous Hamburger Mini Speaker for
$3.99. With about $3 for shipping, we couldn't find it for less elsewhere. This
tiny speaker recharges via USB and includes a 3.5-inch plug for connecting to a
computer, phone, or book player. It collapses when not in use and can easily
fit in the palm of your hand. We use one here for exhibiting at conferences
where something louder than a laptop is needed.

  15. Most Popular Recent Deals
  Here are the top five posts to Blind Bargains as of the time of this
newsletter.

  #csun11 Audio: APH Rebirths Wayfinder Access as AviNav
  #csun11 Audio: A Graphite Cane Advantage
  #csun11 Audio: Ambutech's Vibrating Glasses
  #csun11 Audio: A Preview of the 6dot Braille Labeler
  #csun11 Audio: The Accessible Blio Reader

  If you received this message from someone else and want to subscribe
yourself, visit This link to sign up.

  We respect your privacy. To unsubscribe, use the link below. or Email
dailydeals-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Send by A T Guys, LLC, 514 Wheaton
Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49008.