[accesscomp] Fw: Backing Up Outlook Folders To A Thumb Drive and a replacement posting, Dan's Tip for April 22 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:30:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 4:24 AM
Subject: Backing Up Outlook Folders To A Thumb Drive and a replacement posting,
Dan's Tip for April 22 2013

Today I am reposting a tip in the sites shown on Friday.  I express genuine
appologies  for the very bad editing done on number three in the site listing
sent out on Friday.  It was the free classic movie online site.  Below is the
much improved edited version and much easier directions.  I was in too much of
a hurry to get the tip out.

Secondly are directions on how to backup your outlook folders onto a thumb
drive.

The start of Each article is marked by an asterisk.

*I.  bigfiveglories.com

Watch free classic movies online

After arriving at the site I recommend pressing control plus the home key for
reaching the top of this screen.

As one arrows down, the first three links are "home, "movies?", and "explore."

On this homepage, pressing the letter h once will place the cursor on "now
playing."

Above each movie are  five buttons labeled as one star, two stars, three stars,
four stars, and five stars.

Next you will find the first movie under "now playing."

When I visited the site, "The Kid" was the first movie.  Pressing the letter h
will move between available movies on the homepage.

Below each movie heading, the type is shown such as, "comedy", "dromma" etc.
Then you find who the movie is by.

I moved to the top of this home page and press the letter h twice for reaching
the first available movie.

As mentioned above it was "The Kid."

Then I pressed enter on this link and landed on a Synopsis of the movie, shown
below."

"Synopsis: "A comedy with a smile, and perhaps a tear". As she leaves the
charity hospital and passes a church wedding, Edna deposits her new baby with a
pleading note in a limousine and goes off to commit suicide. The limo is stolen
by thieves who dump the baby by a garbage can. Charlie the Tramp finds the baby
and makes a home for him. Five years later Edna has become an opera star but
does charity work for slum youngsters in hope of finding her boy. A doctor
called by Edna discovers the note with the truth about the Kid and reports it
to the authorities who come to take him away from Charlie. Before he arrives at
the Orphan Asylum Charlie steals him back and takes him to a flophouse. The
proprietor reads of a reward for the Kid and takes him to Edna. Charlie is
later awakened by a kind policeman who reunites him with the Kid at Edna's
mansion.

The Kid by Charles Chaplin is a Public Domain Classic movie."

After reading the Synopsis, I pressed control plus the home key for reaching
the top of this page again.  Of course, one can move to the top with their
mouse.

Arrow down and one finds a flash player.  Move down to "play" and click this
button or press enter.  The movie starts playing shortly.

The link to "classic movies online" is below.

http://www.bigfiveglories.com/

*II.  Backing up Outlook Folders and Viewing the Backup File

This document is devided into two parts.  Each is marked with an asterisk.

*I.  How to Backup Outlook folders to flash drive:

1.  Open Outlook

2.  Press alt plus the letter f or click on "File",

3.   Press the letter t or click on "import and export."

4.  Arrow up three times to "Export to a file" and press enter. If using a
mouse, click on

5.    Arrow down to "Personal Folder File (.pst)" type.

6.    Press alt plus n or click on "next."

7.  Select the folder or folders that you want to back up

to back up all of your outlook data, you can click "Mailbox - *your name*" and
check "Include subfolders"

In my case I did not find a "mailbox" folder with my name.  I had a personal
folder in the treevieww that includes the subfolders of in-box etc.  So I did
the following:

a.  Arrowed up to where it said "personal folders open."

b.  Arrow once to the left to close this folder.

8.  Tab to "include subfolders" checkbox and press the spacebar to check this
box.

9.  Press  alt plus n or click on "next.

10.  Tab to "browse" and press the spacebar.

11.  Navigate to your flash drive also called thumbdrive and press enter.

12. Tab to the set of three radio buttons and make sure "Replace duplicates
with items exported" is selected by arrowing upt to it.

13.  Tab to "finish" and press the spacebar.

14.  You are placed into a file name box. A file name for this backup can be
typed in.  However, there is probably one there already.  In my case it is
"personal folders" in your case it may be mailbox or your name etc." I left
mine as the default of "personal folders." 15.  Tab to okay and press the
spacebar or click on this option.

16. Wait for a few minutes for the process to finish.

17. Now you should be able to find a file called "backup.pst" on the removable
drive used as a destination for the backup file.

SPECIAL NOTE:  When the thumb drive is removed an Outlook is restarted, you
might get a prompt that the backup file can not be found that was created on
"drive letter" for that removable drive.  Just tab over to create and the same
backup file will be made on your c drive and Outlook will not show that prompt
again.  However, if you create another backup file on the thumb drive because
new stuff was added, Outlook will show this ame prompt when that drive is
removed.  Just tab to create again as mentioned above and press the spacebar or
click on that option.  Then the prompt won't show again.  This process just
explained allows one to make a back of all folders in Outlook on an extrernal
drive for safe keeping.

*II.  How to view exported Outlook backups:

1.  Open Outlook

2.  Press alt plus the letter f followed by the letter o.

If using a mouse, Click on "file" followed by clicking on "open."

3.   If using the keyboard, Press the letter f for "outlook data file."

Mouse users, just click on "outlook data file."

4. Navigate to the drive where the backup file is located and enter it.

5.  Locate the backup file and press enter or click on "okay."

6.  Once finished viewing the folders, close the mailbox folder or personal
folder before removing your thumb drive if you viewed the folders in that
backup file.  If you view the folders in the backup file on your c drive, one
should cclose the mailbox orf personal folder before exiting Outlook.  This is
only necessary when viewing the backup file to check if everything is there
that you wished.

"Lord Jesus Christ, your death brought life and hope where there was once only
despair and defeat. Give me the unshakeable hope of everlasting life, the
inexpressible joy of knowing your unfailing love, and the unwavering faith and
obedience in doing the will of our Father in heaven."

Psalm 66:1-7
1 Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;
2 sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise!
3 Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your
enemies cringe before you.
4 All the earth worships you; they sing praises to you, sing praises to your
name." [Selah]
5 Come and see what God has done: he is terrible in his deeds among men.
6 He turned the sea into dry land; men passed through the river on foot.  There
did we rejoice in him,
7 who rules by his might for ever, whose eyes keep watch on the nations --  let
not the rebellious exalt themselves. [Selah]

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.